Betta Fish Forum banner

About the Tom mini internal filter

606 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Miyazawa 
#1 ·
Anyone has experience with this filter? How do you clean it? Do you take the parts out and rinse it? I know cleaning it can kill the beneficial bacteria. I know that I'm not cycling so it kinda doesn't matter but I just want some suggestions.

#2 ·
I'm assuming you're talking about the little one by one by four inch unit with the sponge and carbon bits inside that is normally shipped with small .5 to 1.5 tanks.

Yes you do need to disassemble it, do so carefully in a plastic tub so you don't lose parts. You'll have the coil housing, media housing, impeller/magnet and cap.

Honestly the best way to clean out the gunk on these is to use hot tap water, either by immersion or by pressure spray from the hand nozzle. If there is mineral build-up inside you can use warmed vinegar (never nuke it) and a wooden toothpick. Make sure the impeller and housing are clean and then just stick the reassembled unit in a cup of treated (prime etc) water to rinse it out and treat any residual chlorine.

#3 ·
I have two of them each in a tank less than 3gal. I love them. Because they are so small, they are not made for tanks bigger than 5gal and since anything smaller than 5gal won't really maintain a cycle, you really don't have to worry about the bacteria.

I agree with Thunderloon that you will need to take apart the filter cartrage to clean it. I squeeze and swish the sponge in old tank water and use a toothbrush get the gunk out of the plastic parts. I ignore the carbon part altogether. I think I will try Thunderloon's way next time, just to try it. It sounds like it would definatly be a more thurogh cleaning.

Over all, it's quiet, fully submersible, has a spraybar attachment and is specificly made for smaller tanks.

The biggest complaint is that the five suctions cups are way too strong and it can be annoying to take out.

#4 ·
it's so true...when i try to pull it off the tank, i always pull it apart instead -.-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.