Betta Fish Forum banner

this will be our son's first all-his-own betta

3K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  megaredize 
#1 ·
we've decided we're getting him a UV glow-light tank for xmas, and i just found on ebay the PERFECT boy to be the crown jewel fish of his tank:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-Wh...708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337cf655d4

i'm gonna buy him once i get paid on thursday, and we're gonna set him up a temporary 3 or 5 gal tank and keep him a secret until the setup is complete. it's gonna be a 20 gallon community with a day/night and UV glow LED system, stocked with this boy and 5-7 UV-reflective platies or danios. if the betta turns out to be community aggressive, i'm going to house a tank-within-a-tank 3gal halfmoon in the center, partially obscured with silk plants, kind of like a throne room. we're going to make our own florescent silks by taking the stem parts from standard silk plants and cutting our own leaves from florescent silk fabric, and probably substrate it with a mix of black and white gravel so that some will glow and some will be a dark background. most of the decor will be GloFish brand inserts so that it will reflect the UV light and continue the theming. of course all these details are up in the air till they're cemented in place, but my fiance and i have been giddily planning this present for the last month or so, and are finally starting the countdown to putting it in motion!

See less See more
#6 ·
the ones in my signature? they're our current stock. we've had a few die on us, but the majority are doing wonderfully!

#3 ·
the "throne room" idea sounds really neat....id love to see pix. and man Im a HUGE ebayer but never knew u could get bettas on there, now Im gonna have to go "shopping" lol gee thanks!

#4 ·
the "throne room" idea sounds really neat....id love to see pix. And man im a huge ebayer but never knew u could get bettas on there, now im gonna have to go "shopping" lol gee thanks!
don't you dare go touchin' my boy!!! I got dibs on him!

#8 ·
yeah,and there's the benefit over aquabid that a larger number of them are already in the US, so there's no need for a stressful overseas shipping for the fish, or an expensive transhipper for the buyer :)

#9 · (Edited)
a question for anyone that might know: since i've now pretty much got my heart set on the tank-within-a-tank design, if the water in the main tank is heated adequately, will the 3gal inside need its own heater, or will the exterior water insulate it and keep it at an even temperature?

EDIT: if it'd help, i've attached a rough sketch of the design concept. the notations aren't really legible since i just took a webcam photo, but you should get a general idea of the setup.

Attachments

#10 ·
a question for anyone that might know: since i've now pretty much got my heart set on the tank-within-a-tank design, if the water in the main tank is heated adequately, will the 3gal inside need its own heater, or will the exterior water insulate it and keep it at an even temperature?
it should insulate it :O there needs to be a good current circulating the outer layer though

#11 ·
You shouldn't need a heater for the 3 gallon. The exterior water should keep it at the same temperature as the main tank. This sounds like a cool idea be sure to post some pics!
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
great! my fiance went to bed nearly an hour ago but i'm sitting up awake and excited over this tank. i just can't wait to get started.

#16 ·
every word going through my head is something i can't post on a family forum. some multi-four-letter-word bought him while i was at work. just the icing on top of an awful day.

#17 ·
OH NO!!! I promise it wasnt me....(my ebay name is reena_chell just so ya know) man that REALLY sux! Well I saw some really awesome Mustard Gas ones on there that might look neat in your "throne room" tank

#20 ·
i think i saw the MG you're taking about and he is BEAUTIFUL. i'd totally be bidding on him, but we really want a white platinum so he's glow under the moonlight lamp.

Oh no! :( I would be so upset if that happened to me!! I have been browsing the bettas on ebay and I saw this one. It's an HM but his color is very similar to the one that got bought.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-Wh...110&pid=100010&prg=1065&rk=1&sd=280901211344&

we're currently watching and bidding on a few other WP's, that guy has definitely crossed my radar.

#22 ·
oh i'll be taking lots of pics...if this tank is half as awesome as it is in my head, it's gonna win awards of some kind or other.

#24 ·
UPDATE! bought a used 20gal for $30, and a white platinum plakat with faint little red spots on his fins! pics to come soon!

#25 ·
here's Bubbles the white plakat!

and here's the (rough) tank that we're refurbishing for the project:

#27 ·
oh by the time we're done with it, you won't even recognise it as the same tank!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.