Betta Fish Forum banner

how does this even make sense?

481 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  LittleBlueFishlets 
#1 ·
I have 2 tanks. Tank A is 5 gallon bow front with aqueon 5 filter 50 watt heater. gravel for substrate, non planted. inhabitant is one male betta. tank has been active for 3 months. receives two 50% water changes per week with stress coat+ added. Filter has carbon removed replaced with sponge for biological filter. Tank B is rectangular 5.5 gallon tank with marine i25 filter 50 watt heater and gravel. also non planted and inhabitant is 1 female betta. tank has been active for 3 months. receives two 50% water changes per week with stress coat+ added. filter has carbon removed and replaced with sponge for biological filter.

Here is my issue: I tested the water tonight using api liquid tests.

Tank A: 0.25 ppm ammonia
Tank B: 0 ppm ammonia
Tank A: 7.8 ph
Tank B: 7.4 ph
both read 0 for nitrites and 5-10 for nitrates.

How can these two tanks which are basically the same and have the exact same water source have 2 different ammonia and ph readings???

#3 ·
yes. I'd feel guilty changing the water in one and not the other lol.

#4 ·
This happens a lot in my tanks. I actually have a tank in which the PH is noticeably different. I have no idea why, since my water comes from the same filter/faucet/etc. I would assume it has something to do with whatever else is in the tank, like decorations.

Edit: I know for a fact, though, that if you use a different faucet, this could cause a change.

#5 ·
Different filters may have different bacterial colonies. It's possible that one has bacteria that utilizes nitrogen compounds faster than the other.

Or maybe one filter has better water flow than the other....

You could try a few experiments. For example:
  • Expt 1) Add a little sponge material or media from tank B's filter into tank A for awhile. See if it reduces the pH and ammonia readings in tank A.
  • Expt 2) Switch the filters around. (A into B, B into A). See if it changes the pH and ammonia readings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.