Betta Fish Forum banner

Why did I look? Aquabid woes!

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Luimeril 
#1 ·
I was bored just now and went looking on Aquabid. Oh my..! I saw a gorgeous Betta there! I simply cannot have more than one fish, I don't have the room. Comet is a well cared for boy in his 25 liter (6.6 gallon) 'bookshelf aquarium'. I love looking at him in the tank with my live plants and marimo moss ball.

But.. *sigh* I wish I hadn't even looked on Aquabid!! I think I will ban myself from going again. Maybe a few years from now, when Comet has passed from old age, but for now I can not let myself go there! Too many stunning Bettas!

Anyone else ban themselves from 'window shopping' on Aquabid?

#2 ·
I just recently heard of A/B and found the fishes that I see on the forum.. was always wondering where people get their gorgeous fishy's..aha now I know.. and Yes, I am tempted too.. but right now.. I am undecided about ordering on line live fish.. I hear with a good seller on A/B they would be ok, but I go to Petco and feel so bad for the ones over there, my daughter picked out our Sammy.. and from that day on.. he's been such a shining light in our lives.. so I am not ready to do that yet, but I may be getting another betta another way.. unless.. I cave..lol.. :)

#3 ·
id suggest you try to resist or leave AB alone. i saw my green DT on AB and was obsessed with purchasing him. i just kept thinking about him and stressing out until i was able to get my AB acct up to hit the buy now button.

#6 ·
Pitluvs, your avatar dog is a beauty!

I actually find I'm ok on AB. I see a lot of fish that are just incredibly beautiful, but I find I have to see a fish in person, look at its little face and watch it interact with me/its environment/other fish before I can fall in love with. That way I know it's not just a pretty tail. :p

#9 ·
i do find myself bored of AB, too many posible bettas and not enough space. the only AB site i see everyday is the one i found my DT on. going local for betta also helps keep costs down.

#12 ·
I also find that not being allowed to have another fish helps. When I see a fish on the classifieds that is being neglected and sold because the owner is bored, trying not to save it is just really hard. On the other hand, I know the fish on AB are well cared for, and will go to good homes. They don't *need* me.

#13 ·
I stayed away from Aquabid for the longest time. Shipping from Thailand is expensive with all the added costs...... Silly KadenJames..... She got me looking there lately. I found a fish I REALLY want to buy but I can't afford to. I have been trying not to look now at all. If I don't know what's there I can't think about "the fish that got away." I visit the fish I found daily though. I'm just waiting for him to be sold.

#14 ·
There must be a way, though I haven't figured it out yet, to permit oneself to visit Aquabid (to "go fishin'") without feeling seriously tempted by the fishes or excluded from partaking in what should be a fun ritual. Perhaps the thought that one is not looking at baubles or ornaments, but living beings who need love and care, can forestall the urge to press a button and send a fish hurtling through real space and time. It almost has to be prohibitively expensive, to prevent all but deliberate decisions. Someone mentioned the perils of PetCo and PetSmart--or portions thereof--and I know I can't visit those parts of the store, or the wanting will start, a small voice that says, "Look at me!" I think these places appeal in part because they feel like our very own personal betta show, any day of the week. And if we postpone our inclinations and wait to visit a real betta show, there is always the danger there of feeling the pull of that special fish. It's a real quandary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.