Betta Fish Forum banner

Help with Housing?

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  FuulieQ 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm FuulieQ and I'm brand new on this site, as well as to betta ownership!

I had one when I was much younger, but it was the typical plant and vase setup, which I've since learned is a bad way to house bettas. He lived for a year, though, so he must have done at least alright on what we gave him.

Anyway, I've now gotten myself a new companion! He's a gorgeous turquoise veiltail - you can see him in my avatar. :)

I'm concerned, though, about the tank that I received with him (he was a present). The tank is supposed to accomodate two bettas, but upon seeing it I immediately resolved to get just one. It's not very big at all. Here's an image of the tank ---> http://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/720/246/21/9TWMFqSPvPac4MP.jpg

It's called the Penn Plax BETTA BOWFRONT DOUBLE TANK. Of course, I took out the divider to give him some more space, but I'm still concerned that it is too small, and has no filter.

I'd really like to take good care of this fish. My budget is limited and I'm liable to get in trouble if I spend much more money on him, but if I have to, I will.

Help the inexperienced newb? ;w;

See less See more
#2 ·
They should be in at least 2.5 gallons or more. You can buy a critter keeper at Petsmart, Petco, or any other local petstore and keep him in there. You can get them in various sizes and they are very inexpensive. Bettas should also be kept at a constant temperature of 78 to 82 degrees. So you may need a heater if the place you are keeping him at is cool.

He is a gorgeous boy! I love the color of him!

#4 ·
Thanks, that's what I suspected. :) I'll try and get up there and replace his tank next time I clean his water. It's always hot in this room for me, so hopefully he'll do alright, but I'll watch carefully. Will I need a filter for him?

He doesn't seem to like me much. Every time I get close he freaks out, and I'm always afraid that I'm stressing him. xD

#6 ·
I'm hoping to get a three gallon. I don't have much space for more than that, sadly, but it'll be nice compared to what he has now. There's even this obnoxious pointy-looking plastic plant glued to the bottom. I think I read that those can hurt his fins?

I'll give him some space and time to cool down. Maybe that will help.

#8 ·
Yeah, I was a little lax and forgot about that rule when I set up the "tank" (it's more like a bug catcher, isn't it xD). Ahhhh, I feel so bad for him in that little thing.

#12 ·
It DOES?! O_O GAH! But won't that completely freak him out? If it sounds like a good idea I'll do a 50% change right now to help him out...

[edit] Oh, is it 'week'? xD That makes more sense...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.