Betta Fish Forum banner

Zzzzzzz.

4K views 43 replies 7 participants last post by  Olympia 
#1 ·
Uh, since everyone is doing this I guess I'll join in. :)

I'll just be posting fish related stuff/daily life stuff since it doesn't really fit into my tumblr or my personal blog, heh. I hope some people will actually read this.

So today, after school I went to eat chicken wing with a few of my friends, it's a weekly tradition, Brewsters has $0.35 per wing every Tuesday, heh, we ate about 80 wings in total.

After that I decided to go my nearest pet store, PJ's Pets. They had more new Bettas in, I saw two Super Deltas, one boy was a metallic black one and the other was a blue with white wash, he was so pretty. I also saw a pearl double tail, I resisted buying the fish, they were kept in poor condition and I didn't want to support my LPS. They also had a recent batch of Crowntails, so pretty, there was a red big one, flaring away.

As usual I saw a couple of dead boys in their cups. :T Half dying ones too. . . They had tons of Albino Julii Cories though, when I get my 20g I'll get some. . . They're so cute. They also had nice looking plants too, but they were so expensive, $7.99 for each, ack.

Heh, at least this time I walked out of there without buying anything. I have a strong will!

See less See more
#3 ·
I've always wondered what the point is in an albino version of a spotted cory cat. My LFS has albino Sterbai cory cats and without their spots/lines, they look exactly like albino bronze cory cats. o_O Ah, but albino or not, a cory cat is pretty irresistable, eh?

#6 ·
Heh, I made a mistake, I saw albino bronze cories. My bad. Got bronze and Julii cories mixed up.

Anyways went to my LPS today again, I'll probably go once every week now. No new Bettas, except for one. They got a dumbo plakat boy, so beautiful, but so expensive too, $54. . . Eeek. I've also been keeping my eyes on this white super delta I believe, he might be silver with a little bit of cellophane, I dunno, I'm bad when it comes to all the fancy finnage and colors for Bettas. He's been there ever since I bought my plakat, I feel bad for him.

Other than that, starting my NPT soon, I hope! Just need for my boyfriend's car to arrive and we're good to go, so gotta be patient myself. :)

Here are some pictures!

Here's the dumbo plakat boy.

And here's that Betta I've been staring at for a couple of weeks.

#8 ·
Yeah Sakura, the SD boy is still there, I went to the store AGAIN today (I have an addiction~), and he's still there, the Dumbo boy is not though, someone bought him already! My friend who came with me, really liked the SD boy, if he's still there and alive in a few weeks I might just pick him up. :)

But there's a new arrival at the store, a double tail, he's metallic silver and baby blue fins, very lovely. But he had a problem, has severe hunchback, and probably bloating, the guy could barely flare. c:

Other than that, just more dead fish in the store. But they have a Honey Gourami in stock they're actually really pretty, actually doing a bit of research right now, I might get one for my 10g when I start the NPT project. Wooo~

#9 ·
So today I went to my LPS with my boyfriend, I keep going there, I'm pretty sure everyone knows me there. But! Big things happened!

First off, my new tank! It's a secondhand Fluval Edge! It's in almost perfect condition only problem I could see is a scratch. But it's not that bad, anyways, the Fluval Edge here costs around $110, with the LED lights that you have to buy its another $35! But it all costed me $30! I'm picking it on Thursday! I might put my SD male in it and get a new Betta. Teehee.

Second of all they had a sale on Water Wisteria! They were $5 for a bunch, so happy to finally get some floating plants, two bunches covered all my tanks, need one more bunch to completely fill the 10g. Also they just got a shipment of Gouramis, I might get that for my Edge instead. Anyone know if I can house a Gourami happily in a 6g? Other than that, nothing much, I'll have to sneak that Edge in. Can't let my mother find out.

Also going on Wednesday to buy some organic potting soil, and some sand to cap the soil. Can't wait!

#10 ·
No gourami for 6 gallons.
You could look into badis (scarlett badis are gorgeous). May be hard to come by and they are picky eaters, but it's the only pretty fish for small tanks other than betta.

#13 ·
I'll consider the Honey Gouramis Sakura! :) The LPS I went to had a lot of different types of Gourami but I didn't see any Honeys.

I've been looking at several species of fish, I dunno if my LFS carries them anymore but, I remember they had some Dwarf Puffers, so I might actually go for them. Only problem is I dunno how I'm going to keep coming up with endless supplies of snails for them to eat.

#14 ·
I think a pair is too much for 6 gallons, they are territorial. One male would be okay.
For the puffers, just take some snails, put in jar, add food source and voila!
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
While I'm at it today I'll upload pictures of my current tanks and describe them, hehe showing off essentially. :3

This is my 10 gallon, it's decently planted, there's some swords (yeah the swords aren't doing well, I know, once I change this into a NPT that'll change for sure), recently got some water wisteria to float in all my tanks, lots of Moneywort, got two moss balls, some onion plant didn't think they would do so well growing like mad, along with that lovely piece of driftwood with Anubias on it as the centerpiece. It's stocked with some Rummynose Tetras, that one Balloon Molly, and with my Metallic Plakat boy. My future with this tank is to convert it into a NPT, which I will later this week. If I ever get my bigger tank, I'll transfer the Tetras and the Molly. Leaving my Betta, then getting roughly around 10 Pygmy Cories and it'll just be the Cories and him. :)

This is my 2 gallon Fluval Spec. Originally home for my other Betta, it's now a RCS tank. You can't really see them. Tons of java moss and Christmas moss, along with java fern attached to a piece of driftwood. More water wisteria floating again! This tank will get untouched it'll remain as a RCS tank, planning on adding around 5 more RCS in the tank.

My 2.5 gallon for my SD boy. Loads of Crypts, they do very well under the LED lighting. Gonna change this into a NPT, just full of Crypts!

I would take a picture of my new Fluval Edge, but, I haven't set it up yet.

So there you go these are my tanks. ;D

#18 ·
Thank Sakura, wish the swords would do better but they're turning brown and dying, bleh.

Anyways, went to my LPS and took a shot of what I think are Honey Gouramis, they were moving so actively so this was the best shot, circled ones are "Honey Gouramis", there's like a tiny one there also, if these are really Honeys I'm gonna get the tiny fella. They lived with some Bronze Cories and Dwarf Gouramis.

#24 ·
In that case I might just get a Dwarf Gourami, or will he be too big? They're only 1 inch bigger than the Honeys, the reason why is that pretty sure there's no females for the Honeys or I'll be more than happy to snatch up a pair.

I should look at my LFS before buying the Honeys anyways, I might find that they might have Honey Gouramis in stock too. c:

#40 ·
My single male dwarf is in a 29g community with large swordtails and he's quite territorial with them lol We don't have females here so I settled for just him. He was the last in the store (none new since) and his buddy was dead :( My guy is VERY nervous though, I really don't think he likes being alone species wise.

#26 ·
You'd be hard pressed to find females of either type..
Think of gourami almost like a peaceful betta.. It's totally fine on it's own, or with some females, but 2 males need enough room to have their own territories.
Dwarf gourami are really active, which is why I say they need more space, but if you got one by mistake I'm sure it'd be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

#27 ·
Hrm, where do I even begin.

So yesterday I went to Home Depot, I found MiracleGro Organic Choice Potting Mix and Quikrete Playsand, took awhile though. Went to my LFS, they had really good plants in for a cheap price, got two bundles of Crypts for $5 (should have bought more), got some Camboda, along with an Anubias. Along with that buy I stupidly made the choice to buy more fish, I got more Pygmy Cories to bump up then numbers, along with a Dwarf Gourami to put in my new Fluval Edge. I tried to look for a pair of Honey Gouramis but they only had males so I made the choice for the Dwarf.

Here's the bad part now, I starting converting my 10g into a NPT, it was easy enough, getting the gravel out was really annoying so I just dumped it all into the backyard. I got my soil and put too much in there, around 2 inches or so, here's the thing though I didn't cap it enough with the sand. So while I was filling my tank up the sand got moved because the current was too strong, and I was even using a siphon to siphon in the water, so therefore the soil got exposed. I tried my best and covered the spots with more sand where the soil was noticeable, and after quickly planting, and filling up the whole tank, it became a mess.

I had to put my fish in because they were getting cold in the bucket and I had nowhere else to put them, big mistake. I could see they were gasping, and I quickly reacted with doing 2 50% water changes right away, no luck the water was still was cloudy and they were still gasping for their lives. I didn't know what to do so I pumped more water conditioner into there and tested the water parameters everything came up as 0, so I just assumed that they were settling in.

Then I started on my Edge, this was less troublesome, I capped the soil with a lot of sand, but some soil still got exposed but not as much as my 10g. Planted it with lots of Crypts, Camboda and the Anubias. Acclimated my new Gourami buddy, and I could also see that he was gasping a bit, but not that much, did a 50% water change and hope to God he would calm down.

Woke up this morning and went to check on my tanks, my 10g two of my Rummynose have died, along with a Pygmy Cory. I was really saddened, these fish had died because of me being impatient. I had to run because of dance practice, when I came back one more Pygmy Cory was dead along with this White Cloud Minnow I had that my friend gave me. I did two more 50% water changes on the 10g and the water is now clearer but still cloudy, I'm glad that my Plakat boy didn't die. The Gourami is still alive though, which I really hoped for. I did a 60% water change on the Edge, and the water is now clearer too.

Now I'm scared to change my 2.5g into a NPT. I might do it tomorrow and do it slowly and cap it with tons of sand. Sigh, I dunno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.