Betta Fish Forum banner

swim bladder

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  tpocicat 
#1 ·
Can anyone help my spawn has swim bladder how do i help them

#2 ·
What do you mean by your spawn.Is it your parents or fry.We need more accurate questions.
If it is the parents,feed them a little.Put them in a salt bath for a few minutes.I am not sure how much salt to add in but other members will help you.If it is the fry,feed the daphnia and give them a salt bath too but much less salt in it.

#4 ·
When you have young fry that are having buoyancy issues....it can be from several things. Genetics, deformities, type/amount of food, water quality, poor nutrition, too cool dry air over the water to name the most common causes.

Sometimes it will resolve on its own-and it will either come back as they mature and sometimes it doesn't-and while a Betta with buoyancy problems can generally live a normal life albeit limited-it can be worrisome to the hobbyist. Personally, I cull fry that have any buoyancy issues that don't resolve on its own within a few days.

What kind of food are you feeding and how much/often, tank size, water level, substrate, filter, live plants, additives used, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp. Are you using anything over the top of the tank to retain heat/humidity if the tank isn't in a warm/high humidity room. When did the symptoms first start, is it all the fry (how many) has any got better on their own, have you tried any treatments.

what tail type are the parents and do they have any buoyancy issues-past or present-history of.....

Besides the buoyancy issues...any other signs/symptoms....

#8 ·
It sounds like it might be due to overfeeding, eating too many BBS shells and/or poor nutrition.

How old are the BBS you are feeding, how are you hatching them, how are you harvesting them, how much are you feeding...Is BBS the only food.

Are you using anything to help retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ-what is the room temp-room the tank is in. What is the water temp.

Can you post a pic.

#9 ·
Oh okay i live in a tropic country so no heating is needed but i think its that i overfeed them I hatch them with a 2 litter bottle cut in half with an air tubing inside and i just siphon them out to a coffe filter and then rinse them i feed them 3cm of syringe yeah now i just wanna know how to help my poor babies D:

#10 ·
I would try Epsom salt 1-2tsp/gal-dissolve the Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) in a cup of tank water-once dissolved slowly add to the fry tank over 30 min or so or to their tolerance. It may or may not help-depending on the cause...if its genetic or short body related it won't do much good. If it is damage due to eating too many BBS shells or poor nutrition-it may help-but it might come back as they mature. Usually these type of fry are culled....

I would add some other foods to the mix and either add an HUFA supplement to the older BBS or only feed newly hatched BBS with their yolk sac intact-otherwise the BBS have very little nutrition-be sure and rinse them really good before feeding. You may need to cut back the amount of food-depending on how many fry you have and how many are having buoyancy issue....

Since you live in the tropics I am sure you don't have to use any AC that can dry the air-but it still won't hurt to cover the top of the fry tank with plastic wrap to get the heat/humidity up over the water for the labyrinth organ.

A pic would really help.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.