Betta Fish Forum banner

new betta owners, warning!

8K views 114 replies 48 participants last post by  Taeanna 
#1 ·
this goes to those who just got their first betta.
First of all, I have to sadly inform, that like most of us here..you're "infected", and remember that up till now, no complete cure have been found yet for "betta virus". Even though later you might be "cured" due to your busy daily life or anything, once u have the time and space, you'll probably "re-infected" again. You may say to yourself, "oh I'm just gonna have one, no more"..but again like most of us here..later you will always find a reason for more like "aw, he's so cute..or one more, after that no more ( and we all know this will be done repetitively LOL ). And it is known that looking at your betta regularly, or worse, browsing through this forum for other's betta pics will make the "virus incubation" period shorter, you'll soon find yourself wanting for "another color, another fin type, or maybe..wild bettas." So later, when you found yourself with more bettas than "just one" like u planned before..please remember that I have warned you about this. LOL

#4 ·
isn't there a vaccine???

#5 ·
also is it true it can be passed down to offspring?

#54 ·
Not only can it be passed to offspring, it can be passed to significant others. My husband is currently discussing the name, color, etc. of "my" next fish, although I haven't said I'm getting another fish anytime soon.

#8 ·
I guess we all need to be quarantined haha

#10 ·
I didn't get infected for a long time. Got hit with goldfish flu but with a tank with a lone ghost shrimp needing a companion in my room and after I woke from the coma of awesomeness, I have 2 bettas and the want and potential for a third.

#13 ·
hahahahaha. Make some IAL tea, take an epsom bath and make sure the heat is turned way up :p

#12 ·
epsom baths... lol

Some catch the disease more severely than others, a severe case leads to betta breeding, and fish into the double digits.

We're on 9, and adopting 3 more from Aemaki... lol

#15 ·
well, bathrooms are pretty bright so you'll have lots of options for plants! Just make sure to cycle the bath before you get into it

#16 ·
"isn't there a vaccine???" unfortunately not, getting a vaccine such as..seeing your friends fish/es, trying to make yourself immune to their look...will only makes things worst LOL.
"also is it true it can be passed down to offspring?" If your offspring/s grow up while you're infected, this is highly possible :p
"nailed it. I have 3 and counting...." you'll keep counting LOL
"I have 2 bettas and the want and potential for a third. " Just wait LOL
I've been trying to stay away whenever I was "cured", and last time I remember when I got infected again, made a promise to myself "5 max, no breeding". But here I am, breaking my own promise again and ended up with..youngsters/adults ( around 40 -50, I don't count, only reminds me of how many times my "promise" multiplied itself ), and now 2 more fries tanks...sigh...

#22 ·
I just realized I had this. after almost a year of a very minor infection (hasn't gotten far enough as to actually extend to multiple bettas, but definitely the obsession and looking for another) and it seems the virus is now able to spread via the internet.

#24 ·
News Flash : Some websites and forums such as bettafish.com and aquabid.com, are "clinically" proven to "spread the virus further and "shorten" the "incubation" period". It is not advisable to visit these 2 sites so often, due to "hazardous" contents. LOL

#26 · (Edited)
there is a vaccine, unfortunately its just as space consuming as aquariums.
option A, have enough small tanks that WC scheds keep you too busy.
B, get other larger enclosures for non-fish pets.
C, have the tanks occupy every avialable "vacant" spots you dont use in your daily life.

the problem with the approach is that when an open spot comes up to replace the current pets, its bound to be filled in with replacements.

for me the monetary factor is moot, tank space is the main ailment for me.

#27 ·
I definitely have this. And Dramaqueen is soooo very right- lack of funds doesn't even cure it. I am soon to have betta #8 and, of course, I have promised myself NO MORE after this one. :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.