Betta Fish Forum banner

new betta owners, warning!

8K views 114 replies 48 participants last post by  Taeanna 
#1 ·
this goes to those who just got their first betta.
First of all, I have to sadly inform, that like most of us here..you're "infected", and remember that up till now, no complete cure have been found yet for "betta virus". Even though later you might be "cured" due to your busy daily life or anything, once u have the time and space, you'll probably "re-infected" again. You may say to yourself, "oh I'm just gonna have one, no more"..but again like most of us here..later you will always find a reason for more like "aw, he's so cute..or one more, after that no more ( and we all know this will be done repetitively LOL ). And it is known that looking at your betta regularly, or worse, browsing through this forum for other's betta pics will make the "virus incubation" period shorter, you'll soon find yourself wanting for "another color, another fin type, or maybe..wild bettas." So later, when you found yourself with more bettas than "just one" like u planned before..please remember that I have warned you about this. LOL

#74 ·
Lol. I caught the bug at the beginning of January this year and mannaged to hold out till last weekend. I now own two who will be going into a 10g divided tank so I can move my new 1g QT out of the way for another 10g that I'm planning on dividing as well. However funds have run out so my two boys now will be it for a while. But I have mannaged to pass the bug to my cousin who got his first Betta with me last weekend. And I "got my grandparents one" for thier anniversary that I take care of. Is very infectious.

#77 ·
That is okay. I talk to mine all day long when I'm home. I sit on the floor by thier tanks ( have them on a bench like thing that I've had and put through some wear but still stong) and just talk away. Or I just sit and watch them for hours.

#78 ·
Pretty sure I'm catching the bug. I watched my bettas' tank for several hours one day. ...I've never done that with fish before.

#79 ·
I talk and give kisses to mine for hours too. Now Jewel kisses me back! It's not just her typical fish kisses, I know she's giving me kisses because her mouth opens much wider than when she's at the surface taking in some air and she's halfway between the top and bottom of the tank (or wherever I am sitting), she's looking directly at me.

#86 ·
Oh that sounds so cute!

I've been thinking about training Addie to do things since she seems to have a decent attention span or at least, unlike Henry, will spend a lot more time staring at me whenever I come to the tank. I need to prove my dad wrong. He claims fish are so dumb that they'll probably finish their natural lives by the time you finish training them. >_>

#80 ·
I got bit by the beta bug too. I have 1 female beta and love her to bits. She is in a 2.5 gallon tank with so many plants and decorations that not all of them fit so I switch them around every once in a while. I would love to get another fish, but it takes me more than 5 hours just to do a 100 % water change and rince everything in her tank. I am quite sore when I clean her tank, not only that, I live in a nursing home and have very limited space.

#81 ·
Hahaha! I love the idea of reading them a bedtime story! My Feng, who died last week, used to blow "kisses" at me. Whenever I went near his tank, he would come over, wiggling, and would quickly and repeatedly open and close his mouth at me. Being the person I am, I would do it back to him. I used to tell people that saw this happening that we were talking and I speak fish, so butt out. :lol:

#82 ·
I have not had my boy for even a week yet and may already be making a list of a thousand different gravel and tank decorating ideas.. I figure giving his tank an overhaul on the 100 percent water change days might keep him amused on the days I need to be on campus till nightfall...

#89 ·
Bniebetta, do you mean I'm cleaning her tank too much? The smaller container I put her in when I clean her tank, holds 2 or 3 cups of her own water, then when I put her back into her larger tank, that water goes with her. So when I say I'm doing a 100% water chsnge, it's not actually 100. It's 2.5 gallons minus 2 or 3 cups.

#95 ·
My dog isn't too keen on my fish. But she's always been a little jealous of ANYTHING that gets my attention more than she does. :-D

#96 ·
Hmmm I suddenly have 30 fish and I have no idea how that happened. I guess you know your addicted when you have to lie to non-addicts about how many fish you have. It's like I can't remember what life was like B.B. (before bettas). Like now it's normal to come home from work and spend two hours doing water changes, and not minding the work at all. I am getting some more 20 gals cycling to cut down on the work a bit.
Bedtime stories? I hadn't thought of that lol. I play mine the song of frogs in a rice paddy every night when I feed them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.