Betta Fish Forum banner

does anyone have this filter, and how is the current?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  gus6464 
#1 ·
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752355

im thinking of getting this for my 5 gallon tank.
i know it says for 1-3 gallons, but thats ok because im getting a betta. and i dont want the current to be strong.
do you know how the current is in this filter? is it too strong?
and this filter ideal for a betta?
and is it ideal for a 5 gallon tank? (like, does it give off a strong current?)

thank you!

#2 ·
that filter came with my 1.5 gallon tanks. IMO, it's not much of a filter at all. i've seen small particles float right by the intake that don't get scooped up. mine has to run on an air pump too.

i have a betta in a 5 gallon tank and i purchased an aqua-clear 20. this is a great filter and my betta does fine with the flow. he actually likes to swim in it and let it carry him to the back of the tank but he's a big boy. a smaller fish might find the full flow too much BUT the plus about this filter is that you can adjust the flow depending on your fish.

good luck.

#3 ·
Tetra Whisper 3i In-Tank Filter - Filtration & Circulation - Fish - PetSmart

im thinking of getting this for my 5 gallon tank.
i know it says for 1-3 gallons, but thats ok because im getting a betta. and i dont want the current to be strong.
do you know how the current is in this filter? is it too strong?
and this filter ideal for a betta?
and is it ideal for a 5 gallon tank? (like, does it give off a strong current?)

thank you!
I just set up the 10 gallon one for an 8g Betta only tank and it's pretty good. The flow is not too much and instead of using the carbon bag that came with it I have a 5oz bag of Chemi-Pure and it keeps the water pristine. Chemi-Pure is around 6 bucks but lasts for 4-6 months.

#7 ·
Yeah but Chemi-Pure works a lot better than just carbon because it filters other things like Ammonia, Copper, etc. I use the Elite version in my nano reef and I swear by it. Another option would be the Aquaclear 10 as someone else suggested but that one has more flow than the Tetra.

I will take a video of the flow with my digital camera and post it so you can check it out and see if the flow is to your satisfaction.

#6 ·
I hear the tetra filters are no good. I'm planning on getting an Aquaclear for my 10 gal tank when I have the money. Right now I have an Elite Hush and I wouldn't reccomend that, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.