Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #561 
dcbryan

Fluval Spec (2.0 gallon) tank top to keep cats out?

Ok, I have two (2) Fluval Specs...the little 2.0 gallon with happy bettas. However, as much as the cat and fish like playing tag, I don't want my cats nasty paws in the tank. Is there a replacement top that will not have a nice big round hole in it? Something cat proof?

Also, what is the best way to get the algae scum off the front glass? I have live plants, no other animals in the tank.

Thanks,
dcbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #562 
givemethatfish

You could probably just cut a little circle of craft mesh to lay on top of that hole. Although knowing cats, your cat might just push that off lol. But it's worth a try!
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #563 
givemethatfish

In case anyone's wondering, the adapter for the light/filter combo in the Fluval View is NOT compatible with the light on the Fluval Spec. The plug fits, but it overheats. Just found that out the hard way. At least it just turned itself off instead of burning down my place of employment.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #564 
taquitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelley View Post
Hi all,

New here and new to everything fish related! Here's my fluval spec V with my brand new betta Beastie (sorry about the glare). A few questions. I had to put a fluval pre filter sponge on my filter cuz the flow (even on the lowest setting) pushed him to the back of the tank. I just pop it on right? No need to put a hole in it or increase the flow? Is my water still filtering? Thanks!
Hey, I have the same TARDIS!

Beastie is a cutie :)
taquitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #565 
chelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by taquitos View Post
Hey, I have the same TARDIS!

Beastie is a cutie :)
Yay another Doctor Who fan! I've been trying for days to get a pic of him coming out of it. Finally got one.

Thanks! He is quite the character!
chelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #566 
jsalexson4689

I need some help from fellow Spec owners and planted tank peeps especially. I converted my tank to a planted tank almost a month ago, I upgraded the tank light to the fluval 13 watt compact and have taken every step to help the plants grow but I seem to be failing in the planted tank endevour.

The dwarf baby tears I originally added didnt make it and had to be removed. The dwarf hair grass has alot of brown and dead grass in it. The moneywort has some dead leaves and the java moss constantly has brown in it. I dont know what Im doing wrong. Im doing the water changes weekly, Seachem Flourish once a week and Seachem Flourish Excel daily. The tank light is on atleast 9 hours a day. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
Attached Images

jsalexson4689 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #567 
sniffindaisies

I'm SO glad to see this thread, because I have a Fluval Spec 5 gallon and an issue that's been bugging me since I bought it. The only heater I have found (that will fit in the compartment where the pump is) isn't strong enough; it only raises the temperature of the water by four or five degrees at best, and my house is cold. That means in a 24-hour period, my betta's tank goes anywhere from 74 to 80 degrees. His behavior and appetite are great but his fins are looking pretty ratty, and I'm wondering if the temperature fluctuations could be part of the problem?

The pump hose fits diagonally across the very small compartment where I have my heater. If I turn the filter pump around 180 degrees, the intake panel will be facing away from the filter sponge, but it will move the hose over to the same side where the output nozzle is. I could probably fit a bigger heater in the compartment if I did that, but would the filter be as effective if I did? What are other Spec 5 owners doing? I could just have a bit of the lid cut to accommodate a bigger heater in the main compartment, but I really don't want to have to resort to that if there is a better solution. Thanks in advance for any replies... I'm off to start skimming the rest of the posts on this thread. So grateful I found this resource... it's already been so much more informative about betta care than anyone I've encountered at my local pet stores.
sniffindaisies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #568 
sniffindaisies

well, since I didn't want to be *that girl* that asks a detailed question without doing any reading... I have just sat here and read ALL 57 pages of chatter about these tanks. I'm happy to know that the betta's resting against the intake panel of the Spec V is a common problem and I'm going to order a surface skimmer to cover the grate. Indy's fins are shredded and I'm guessing that's why. He has a betta hammock but he ignores it in favor of the grate. I'm still working on the heater issue but I'm leaning toward that ridiculously expensive titanium one because it won't have to be crammed in so that it's actually touching the filter hose. The things we do for our fish.
sniffindaisies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM   #569 
kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffindaisies View Post
I'm SO glad to see this thread, because I have a Fluval Spec 5 gallon and an issue that's been bugging me since I bought it. The only heater I have found (that will fit in the compartment where the pump is) isn't strong enough; it only raises the temperature of the water by four or five degrees at best, and my house is cold. That means in a 24-hour period, my betta's tank goes anywhere from 74 to 80 degrees. His behavior and appetite are great but his fins are looking pretty ratty, and I'm wondering if the temperature fluctuations could be part of the problem?

The pump hose fits diagonally across the very small compartment where I have my heater. If I turn the filter pump around 180 degrees, the intake panel will be facing away from the filter sponge, but it will move the hose over to the same side where the output nozzle is. I could probably fit a bigger heater in the compartment if I did that, but would the filter be as effective if I did? What are other Spec 5 owners doing? I could just have a bit of the lid cut to accommodate a bigger heater in the main compartment, but I really don't want to have to resort to that if there is a better solution. Thanks in advance for any replies... I'm off to start skimming the rest of the posts on this thread. So grateful I found this resource... it's already been so much more informative about betta care than anyone I've encountered at my local pet stores.
Two main choices here: Either find a heater that fits, or simply get a more powerful heater and put it inside the main tank, where you'll see it, but size is no issue.

I'm not sure which heaters you've tried, but two recommendations for heaters that will fit come to mind:

1) Cobalt NeoTherm, which should fit (see below), or

2) Titanium heaters from a number of companies (here's a 50w example and here is a 100w version from the same company), which are really tiny and will definitely fit the pump compartment in any Spec.

Neither of these are low-cost heaters, but both are excellent, well-regarded, and considerably more powerful than the smaller ones you often find. The small ones can work well, in the right circumstances, but if you want it small AND powerful due to your specific circumstances, you usually have to pay a bit more.

Personally, I have a NeoTherm in my Spec 2g, and the 25w model works great for me. My office environment doesn't fluctuate as much yours does, however (and SoCal doesn't get all that cold, normally), plus my 2g is smaller than your 5 gal Spec, so for you, I'd look at the 50w model. Both are the same size, physically, I believe. I think the compartment where you can fit a heater is the same size in both the 2g and V models. (if anything, the V is likely be at least a smidge bigger) It's tight, but does fit.

Last edited by kman; Yesterday at 05:06 PM.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec