Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta breed?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  CJJoyner 
#1 ·
Hi I an new to the forum. I just got a Betta this past Sunday. I was told he is a Dumbo Betta. I think his tail looks a little funny. I will post a picture can anyone tell me more about him? It's not a great picture I will try to take a better one. I can't tell if he is a Dumbo Plakat or a halfmoon it looks like his tail isn't done growing. Any Betta Savy people out there who have any idea. Thank you!

Crystal

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
He hasn't flared yet. Is there a way I can get him too? I am also assuming he is a young guy because his tail isn't that big. That was why I thought he might be Plakat because his tail isn't that big. I can't even really tell what color he is. I am so new to this. I only ever had the standard Betta before.

Thanks again everyone.

#8 ·
I tried to get a better picture and I tried a mirror. He is hiding behind the filter right now. It doesn't look like his tail can flare anymore then it is. I honestly have no idea. He seems to honestly be much better then he was in the pet store. He seems to be getting a lot more color.

Do young Bettas have small tails like that? I am nervous something is wrong with it. That is partly why I am confused at to what kind he is. The pet store didn't honestly seem to know anything else about him. :(

#9 ·
Leave him alone and let him settle into his new home. It looks like his tail is damaged. This happens with halfmoon tails a lot. Caused by dirty water (a common pet store phenomenon) and nipping (bc in a larger tank with a filter they find it hard to swim). I would say its the former in your case since you bought him with a short tail.

No problem as long as the water is kept really clean.

Pet stores with a high turnover get and sell bettas at about 4 months of age. Their tails are not 100% grown in but you get an idea for the shape. Your bettas tail is not uniform or even on the edge.. It almost looks a bit crowntail-ish. So this will grow in.

#11 ·
Wow. Thanks everyone this has all been truly helpful. I initially wanted a Halfmoon but the Petco Bettas were either dead or incredibly sickly looking. So I went to the only other pet store in town they had one Dumbo only and at first he was swimming fine then he just laid flat at the top of the tank. I asked the employee and he said that the fish was fine some of them are just weird. He also said they'd only had him for about a week and that he was probably younger but couldn't give me an age. I took a gamble and bought him I felt kind of bad for him and I thought if there was something wrong a nice 10 gallon tank would be a step up from the tiny thing they had him in.

I had googled Dumbos to see what they were "supposed" to look like and I assumed they all had the halfmoon tail. Then when I got home I researched a bit more and realized he might look like a Plakat. Then I started wondering if maybe his tail just hasn't grown right. Now I am wondering if this poor little guy has been neglected. I think I said before he is starting to get color. I fed him today I skipped yesterday because I didn't know when he had been fed last. I have also been monitoring my tank with the test strips it seems to be doing good.

#12 ·
Hello, and welcome to the forum. :)

To start of, there are no "breeds" in bettas... There are only fin and color varieties. Such as fancy mice. They're all the same except color and covering look. There are different species as in betta imbellis and betta smaragdina.

He is an obvious elephant ear. (Also known as "dumbos" or EE) His fins are pretty long to be a PK so I'm guessing HM or S/DeT. Only time will tell. :p

Keep his water really clean and give him high-protein foods like frozen BBS as Laki has said. He should feel better once he's settled in. IAL (indian almond leaf) will prevent infection. If you're in the tropics, you can easily find it in parks or outside your house.

#15 ·
His color has really come out. He was pretty much Grey when I got him. I am sad that he has an injured tail. I am going to pick up some frozen baby brine tomorrow hopefully. He has been swimming much more and seems to be having a much easier time. When he came home he was laying flat the the top of the tank.

I am excited to give him a better life then the pet store and I am hopeful his tail will come back and he will be even more beautiful then he already is.

Again a HUGE thanks to everyone. You are all so helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.