Betta Fish Forum banner

Cleaning the tank. Conditioner?

1K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Hello there. Okay so I tested my tank for the pH, Alkalinity, Hardness, Nitrite, Nitrate and Ammonia. pH, alkalinity, and hardness were high. Nitrite and Nitrate seemed fine and the Ammonia was on 0.2. Seeing this, I felt I should clean the tank and so I've been looking for the best water conditioner.

The one i currently use is SpendidBetta Complete Water Conditioner. Is this good? I was looking at the Kordon Amquel and it removes, or lessens, almost everything and in the reviews, they agreed and said it worked. What is the best thing to use when cleaning the tank and using the conditioner? I'm planning on cleaning it on Wednesday.

Also, whats the best way to clean it? Should I use a siphon and suck out the water? Please let me know soon! Thanks!!

#2 ·
Yup get a gravel vac,and itll take care of it for you. Sometimes you have to suck on the one end to get it going,but once you do it enough times,you wont get a mouthful of fishy water lol. As for water conditioner,I use amquel and novaqua together. Good stuff from my experience and my fish are all fine.

#5 ·
For a 2 gallon tank,I would do a full water change like DQ said. Hmm i never read that..im sure it says it on the bottle but mustve missed it lol. Ived used it on tanks from 2.5gallons to 10 gallons. No problems.

#8 ·
Well thats usually if you are cycling. But in a tank that small,forget about it lol. 100% is the way to go. It is stressful on the fish,but they will get used to the routine.

#10 ·
Oh okay. With my old fish, I had him in those small tanks, the rectangular-ish ones and I changed it 100% and almost a year after I had him he died. We think it might've been the temp so I also got the Hydor Mini Heater for my tank, but to keep it safe, i only use it for a few hours and when i unplug it for a while, it the temp goes back down, ill plug it in again.

I'm doing everything I can to make sure my betta is healthy.

#12 ·
Yeah you can and should leave the heater plugged in. Bettas do not like changing temperatures. Very stressful for them,its better to keep it at a stable temperature. 78-82 is a good range for them. Did you get a thermometer? I forgot if you mentioned that,sorry. You could also get an adjustable heater rather than the one you have. Im paranoid of the non-adjustable lol.

#15 ·
I'd like an adjustable heater, but I can't find any and if there are, it's probably too big for my 2 gallon aquarium. I usually put the heater in when it's cold, and take it out when the temp seems good.

Now he doesn't seem to be eating and I'm getting worried. The first 2-3 days he ate pellets, and then he seemed to only eat in the mornings so I bought him bloodworms, put 1 in and he hate it and now he doesn't seem to be eating anything. I tried pellets and bloodworms but he won't eat.

I feel like such a horrible Betta owner...

#16 ·
You can order heaters off the internet. How tall is your tank? You can either put it in horizontally or angle it. I had to angle mine in my 4 gallon because its a hex shape and wouldn't go in any other way.Maybe try a different brand of pellets. Bettas can be very picky. No, you are NOT a horrible betta owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.