Betta Fish Forum banner

Cory Cat and Betta

5K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
In my current unfiltered 2g tank, would I be able to house a cory cat with my betta? he gets 100% water changes every monday and has a large, actively growing pothos plant 3/4 submerged in his tank to filter out "gunk" it is heated and has a light. he is fed a combo of flakes, pellets and baby shrimp and is supplemented with vitachem. I was just thinking not only will he keep Sushi company but he can help clean up the left over food which will in turn keep the water cleaner, but if thats not gonna work its fine. just curious....

#5 ·
so what kind of shrimp or snails would work in the 2g? (if any?) its not biggie if he has to be alone till I upgrade, I was just trying to be thoughtful hahahah

#15 ·
yeah I was only gonna get one, b/c of bio-load AND breeding....if my tank is topless (water line stops about 3-4in from top of tank) will I have to worry about the snail getting out?

#19 ·
Yes, actually. I had one in a 5 gallon with just the hole for the filter and heater wire. Snail still crawled out and fell behind the table. I didn't find him for days.

I have read on this forum that even if they do fall out, try to put them back in. They may have enough moisture in the shell to keep living even if they were out of the tank for a long time.

#22 ·
[Absolutely! Free snails for all my little betta forum buddies!/QUOTE]

AWESOME! well Ima have to think on it a bit, like I said it was just a whim, but I appreciate all the info and if I decide on a snail I may just have to hit u up for one if your project goes well. may wait till I have a bigger tank with a lid so everyone is safe and sound. Sushi is perfectly fine w/o one (5mo and not even a hint of a jump---knock on wood) but i'd hate to have a run-away snail on my hands, Id feel bad if it died ya know

#25 ·
yeah I was thinking cherry would be cooler than the ghost, especially since my decor is all red and green right now....maybe I will start a tank JUST for the shrimp and snails, is that doable?

#27 ·
Rcs, are just the right size for a betta to snack on! The baby shrimp are tiny replicas of the adults really cute. Ghosts are bigger and don't attract the bettas attention seemly manage to evade the muchie hour. Beware of ghost shrimp impersonators, I got a mutant shrimp in a batch of ghosts and it grabbed on to the bettas tail and was going for a smackdown.

#28 ·
it grabbed on to the bettas tail and was going for a smackdown.
hahahah Im getting a visual of that...glad u caught it in time...I think for now I will just leave him alone in his small tank and get him friends when I upgrade. I was just throwing ideas around mostly. but I appreciate the advice for sure :)

#30 ·
yeah almost seems like more trouble than its worth...guess he will just have to stay alone till I can get a bigger tank and figure out what kind of fish buddy would be best for him. im sure hes fine like he is, Im just worrying that hes lonely when in reality hes probably like "hey woman, did I say I wanted a roomie" hahahah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.