Betta Fish Forum banner

When and how can you tell a baby betta's sex

747 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  lilnaugrim 
#1 ·
I brought home a sick baby betta last week. Looks to be a crowntail but it is still quite small. I've abandoned the sorority plans for now because I want to get the boys into a divided 10 gallon. Now that I have 3 small tanks to do water changes on, it's more work than I want to do. I want to know the sex so I know if I need to divide the 10 gallon into 2 or 3.

#2 ·
Just one note, even if it is a girl and (I'm assuming you have a boy and a girl at the moment) you can't put both the girls in a split 10 gallon. They will fight and there is a small possibility that it might lead to a death, especially if the other is much larger than the baby is. But I think it's around 2.5 to 3 months to tell the sex? I'm not sure on that one though.

#3 ·
I have two males and the baby. No females yet although I am planning to do a sorority in a couple of months. I'm going to divide a 10 gallon for the males. If the baby is a male, it will go into the 10 gallon that is why I am needing to know how to divide the tank. If it is a girl, the two boys will share the 10 gallon divided and she will go into one of their tanks until I get the sorority up and going.

#4 ·
Oh okay, I see. I mean she can still go in a divided tank with a male, it might make her a bit eggy when she's older but I'm assuming by then she'll be in the sorority anyway. All up to you :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.