Betta Fish Forum banner

Aquarium salt

1K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  broncosfan84 
#1 ·
My betta's tail looks like he has either fin rot or he is biting his tail. :cry: How much Aquarium salt do I use in his tank to make him better? Please help.

#2 ·
Fin rot is a condition that, overtime, literally rots the tail. It is caused by extensive periods in dirty water, either on its own or after a fight or chewing. But the edges are black or red and look like they're slowly deteriorating.
When a betta noms its tail, little chunks are taken out. Giving it a ragged, split look.

Clean water and indian almond leaves should clear up a chewed tail. To help the condition, add more plants or toys to the tank to give them something to do. A lot of the time it is caused by boredom, stress. Oftentimes a betta with a heavy tail (rosetail, halfmoons etc) will bite to lighten the load.

If it is, in fact, fin rot I would suggest a small dose of aquarium salt. 1tsp per gallon. For a MAXIMUM of 10 days.

#5 ·
I have a a filter running, but I have baffled it. Not much current in the tank. He is in a 10 gallon aquarium with a mystery snail. I've put some driftwood and several plants in with him hoping he will be happy and stop tearing up his beautiful tail. No this isn't my avatar he is another one I have. The avatar is Sky and this one with the problem is Black Rain. :cry: I bought Black Rain off of Aquabid. He is doing well other than the tail biting.

#12 ·
Holy crap he's gorgeous. The second pic he looks like an angel fish lol
Here's to happy healing! (cheers)
It's taken my Vt a while but his tail is just about filled in, it's still clear though. Color is taking forever haha! I'd say it's taken about a month to fill in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.