Betta Fish Forum banner

Had a small accident with my Betta

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  PiscisAmor 
#1 ·
I was doing a partial water change last night and accidently sucked up my HMPK male through the siphon tube. He looks alright and is eating but, I noticed a little scrape on his side. My plan was to get some Tetra Aquaplus becaue I think it has Aloe Vera in it. And, get a smaller gravel cleaning tube(I am stupid and so mad at myself). Does this sound right? I am hoping I can treat it this instead of putting him in a QT tank. What do you think?

#2 ·
Dang...you are lucky you didn't break his back....I did with one of my big female guppies once...she was sucked up faster than I could react...it can happen fast no matter how careful you are....good that he is okay other than the slight injury....since it sounds like you already take good care of your tank and maintain good water quality...I would just stay on top the the water changes and add a couple of daily 50% for a few day to help prevent any secondary infections...you may also want to lower your water temp if its not already in the low range of normal...in the 76-77F range to help with bacteria since they thrive best/faster in warmer water........clean water treatment in his current tank is what I would recommend at this stage.....watch the area and if you see any changes or changes in behavior...I would do aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment in QT along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days...added tannins will help at any stage......keep us posted.....

#5 ·
What kind of siphon do you use? I use this cheap top fin one from petsmart, it works quite well, is a good size (for my 5-10 gallons) but isnt strong enough (at ALL) to suck up a fish. In fact, my fish can shove their heads in, and it wont do anything.

Perhaps consider getting a new one or cupping the little guy for siphonings?

#6 ·
I usually try to keep my siphon hose just above the gravel (but not close enough to suck any in) and at the end of the tank that he's not in. He's pretty good and never gets too close. You might also want to try using "Stress Coat" by API. Its a water conditioner and also contains stuff to help rebuild wounds.

#7 ·
I am sooo glad he is ok. I am always scared to death of this happening! Changing my sorority is the scariest one for me cause I have to use the large hose since the tank is big. I just keep my hand by the opening and wave them off when they get too curious.

#8 ·
The siphon tube I'm using is a long tube connected to a hose but, its made for a large aquarium. I use to have a 45 gallon with a pair of 5 spot jewels. The siphon is definitely overkill for a 10 gallon. The betta had no fear he just swam into the siphon next thing you know he was swimming in the bucket. I felt so bad but, he is doing fine swimming and eating with no problem. I have already picked up a smaller siphon so this shouldn't happen again.

When you say use Decaf green tea is it the stuff in a teabag?

#10 ·
Did that to a catfish once. Oops. Glad your guy is ok! It's amazing what these fish get into... stuff you would never think they could do but they do it! They're worse than kids!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.