Betta Fish Forum banner

Female without a sorority?

607 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Irishdancer 
#1 ·
I'm planning on getting another betta in a couple weeks, after Fall break. I'm thinking about maybe getting a girl this time. I was wondering, do female bettas prefer to be in sororities, or are they fine with having their own tanks? And if it is okay for her to have her own tank, would I need to set it up any differently than a male's tank?

#2 ·
Females like to be alone, all Betta Splendens do. But with females, it's your choice to have a sorority or not. If she gets stressed, it's better to keep her alone.

#3 ·
My female, Cali, lives in a 5 gallon tank, all by herself. I plan on adding a few cherry shrimp in the future, but for now she's got the whole place to herself. She seems to be doing just fine on her own :)

#4 ·
They LOVE to be by themselves. Violet was in a 10g tank all alone & couldn't have been happier. Set the tank up the same as you do a males; plants, hidey holes, filtration (tempered if needed), etc. I do think females like to have more plants or leaves to lay on near the surface more than males do.

#7 ·
Okay thanks! That's good news because I don't have room for a big tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.