Betta Fish Forum banner

Better substrate vac?

550 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Aurie 
#1 ·
So I've been using one of the cheap hand pump gravel vacuums for my 20 gallon divided tank, but I find the suction isn't sufficient to suck up some of the detritus from the few plants that didn't make it. Can anyone recommend a better vac? The bits of rotting plant aren't making a big difference in the ammonia of the tank (I check it every couple of days to be sure) but my substrate is natural sand and it sure looks gross on the sand!

#2 ·
#4 ·
I use this one

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754084&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

Comes with a hose clip that works great with a Home Depot Homers Bucket (standard 5 gal orange bucket)

it's a shake to start but you can start it with the suck or lift method too. I have an old fashioned one but I use that for my betta tanks with little gravel. This one I use for my 10 gallon white cloud mountain minnow tank since it has more gravel. I bought it for a BGA outbreak so I could suck up during antibiotic treatment and it got it all out with no issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.