Betta Fish Forum banner

Adding to my tank. :)

3K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
Hey, y'all! I'm sure that there's several threads on this topic, but I wanted to make mine tank specific. I currently have a 10 gallon tank that's heated and filtered and has live plants. I would really like to add some smaller fish to Bettasaur's tank, but I'm not sure what kind. I really like the look of the tetras. My petco is having a sale where they're 5 for $5. Would they be ok in a 10 gallon as long as I provided lots of hidey holes? I'm hoping this will keep him entertained for times when I'm not at home for a couple days at a time. He tends to bite his tail when he doesn't have any interaction. :roll: Thanks in advance!!!

#3 ·
A school of six neon tetras would be perfect in a ten gal with a betta. Provided they have lots of hiding places.

Even though I would recomend this, I believe I should warn you this arrangement doesn't always work out. Some bettas are ment for solitary life others do okay with friends, it really depends on your bettas personality specificaly.

Even though there's a 95% chance this arrangement should work but make sure you monitor your tank closely for tailbiting or harassment.

Best of luck!!!

#4 ·
I love the way the neon tetras look. I think the ones that I was looking at were cardinal tetras? What's the difference in these besides the color? I'll be on the lookout for fin nipping. He bites his tail though, so I'm not sure how easy that will be.

#5 ·
I love the way the neon tetras look. I think the ones that I was looking at were cardinal tetras? What's the difference in these besides the color?]

Cardinal tetras get larger than neons. One advantage of the cardinal tetra is hardiness. Many fish can catch neon tetra disease from neons, However cardinal tetras are virtually immune to the disease, kind of unexpected in a way since their color patterns are so similar.

Both are a great addition to aquariums!!! :)

#17 ·
Quick question: Would one have to add a few more water changes to one's routine with the additional fish?

@bettasaur: lovely tank and glad to hear everyone is getting along. I'm considering getting some tetras myself, after I add a couple more plants/hiding places to Dr. Z's tank.

#21 ·
I would really like to add some smaller fish to Bettasaur's tank, but I'm not sure what kind. I really like the look of the tetras.
I have several bettas in their own tanks. I wanted to add one of them to my main community tank, so I tried each one and watched carefully to see how he'd react.

Interestingly, each betta had exactly the same reaction. He looked at most of my fish with apparent casual disinterest. Even my fancy guppies, which I was warned might make the betta crazy, got no reaction. But then when he laid eyes on my glowlight tetra (like a cardinal tetra but with an orange stripe instead of the blue one) the betta went CRAZY hostile :shock: and frantically went around trying to scare off all the fish in the tank that he had previously not seemed to care about... so I had to remove him back to his own individual tank as he had failed "plays nicely with others". :cry:

In summary, warning: bettas may not like tetras.

#23 ·
#25 ·
Just wanted to update everyone! Everyone is getting along really well! The only time things get a little crazy is at feeding time, but I'm getting the hang of distracting Bettasaurus. He's actually pretty much stopped biting his fins & they're almost completely grown back out now. I forgot how full & beautiful they were! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.