Betta Fish Forum banner

Upgraded to a larger tank and 2 bettas...help!

671 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Destinystar 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My house was without power/heat for 8 days in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Our poor "Fishy" died and I felt terrible. Power has since been restored and I decided to get not just one new fish, but two. I bought this tank and have divided it with the DIY method I've seen here on the forum, but am finding the filter to be too strong for the betta on that side (can't place the filter smack in the middle due to the "cut-out" in the hood, which is more to the right side).

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11459461&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

I am thinking of returning it to Petsmart and going for something different - but what? I can't drop a ton of money on the tank/filter but I get the bad feeling the more economical starter kits might not be suitable. I don't want either betta to be uncomfortable. Is there anything you guys can suggest? Would I be better off just getting a rectangular tank and picking my own filter? I already have the heater from the previous set up so I'm good with that at least...thanks in advance for any ideas!

Kim

#3 · (Edited)
What kind of filter does it come with? I have both Aqueon quiet flows and tetra 10i filters. I stuffed both with foam for the aquaclear filter. you can also place some tall silk plants right infront of where the outflow is.

There is also a way to make a filter baffle using soda bottles. SOmeplace on this site is a stickie on how to do it.

Another option is to go with a sponge filter. For that you would need an air pump and airline tubing plus the sponge filter. Airpumps and the tubing are cheap but the sponge might need to be ordered online. Walmart has cheap airpumps and the tubing but I have never seen a sponge filter in petco or petsmart or any other store. If you are worried about the current being too strong, this is probably the best filter to use.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/dual-action-foam-filter-round-5-gal

#4 ·
I have that kit. It's a Top Fin 10, 80gph. What I did was get a fluval prefilter sponge that fits around the intake and added a bit of sponge to the outflow. Between the two, it slowed the flow down and made it safer for my guy.

#6 ·
Hi all,

My house was without power/heat for 8 days in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Our poor "Fishy" died and I felt terrible.

Just wanted to chime in here and suggest that you make provisions for the next power outage. Why did "Fishy" die? Did he get too cold? Make sure you have emergency supplies on hand in case you lose power again. To help retain heat, purchase a mylar blanket to wrap around the tank (very cheap on Ebay). For longer outages, buy some 72-hour heat packs to tuck under the mylar blanket (also very cheap on Ebay). For Bettas, at least you don't have to worry about oxygenation. But you do need to prepare for water changes by having some water set aside (if, like me, you lose water during an outage). Bottle your own water in empty 1-gallon milk containers so that your fish is used to the chemical makeup. There's no reason your fish should have to suffer/die during a power outage if you are sufficiently prepared. Now that you know it can happen, prepare now to protect your new fish.

#7 ·
I do appreciate your thoughts/suggestions, but I didn't make this thread to get chastised for my betta's death. I was dealing with a dark and freezing house, trees and downed power lines in my yard with no way to get out at times due to relative danger, a gas shortage with lines hours long, trying to cook and feed myself, husband and toddler, all while keeping us sane and entertained. I'm not looking for sympathy as some people had it much worse than us. It's not that I don't care about my pets. It's just this hurricane knocked the east coast on it's ass and I don't think any of us were fully prepared for the magnitude. I realize I could have made better provisions for our fish but to be honest, I had a lot of other things on my mind. I know now for the future to be better prepared.

#8 ·
Sorry you had to go through such horrible conditions, and your loss of the little fish. It is very understandable what had happened, and you were correct in focusing on your family first.

As mentioned above, the aquarium sponge would be idea.. just cut it out to fit the outflow section and if needed you can use clean/new rubber band to hold it into place. Same for if you prefer to cover the intake section.. just make sure it isn't completely covered.

Good luck with the baffle!

#10 · (Edited)
Wasn't chastising you for the death of "Fishy." Just suggesting that you prepare now so that you can protect the two fish you just bought in the event of the next power outage. Perhaps you couldn't have foretold the first outage. Not suggesting you were irresponsible at all for the loss of "Fishy." But to buy more fish without making provisions for the next outage WOULD be irresponsible.

Just FYI--I am on the east coast as well, and lost power due to Sandy as well. After two extended power outages last year (freak October snowstorm, hurricane), I purchased a generator, mylar blankets, heat packs, battery-powered air stones--to be better prepared next time. And I'm a single mom caring for two kids and a house full of animals on my own. So good thing you're not looking for sympathy, 'cause you won't get any from me.

I was trying to be helpful by offering suggestions on how to be better prepared next time. I don't see anything in my post suggesting I was blaming you for "Fishy"'s death. You took it to a contentious level, now I'm angry.

Oh, and re not being prepared for the magnitude of the storm--here in CT we were being warned more than a week in advance that we would face power outages of up to a week. There was LOTS of notice. No one is prepared for losing their home and everything they've ever owned, like happened to some of the folks on Long Island--but extended power outages are easy to prepare for. And we had ample notice that they would happen.

#11 ·
I am so sorry you lost your Fishy and had such a rough time, its terrible what happened and is still happening and how happy you must be to have your power back. Something about this winter has me spooked I am afraid to lose power because of my Betta Perseus I love the little guy he is very special to me since my daughter got him for me for Mothers Day this year and he is my first fish ever. I got just though ordering a insulated box and some heat packs to use in case of a power outage here I want to be ready. Keeping everyone on the East Coast in my prayers !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.