Betta Fish Forum banner

New to the forum and need some guidance!

931 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! This is my first post here!

Here is my set up: Eclipse System 3

I am going to get a Java Fern to put to the right of the lantern. I plan on cycling this tank before I choose a Betta. So, that brings me to my first question:

Can I add the plant now and cycle with it in there? If not when is the best time to add the plant?

As far as cycling goes I am going to follow these guidlines:
http://www.flippersandfins.net/cyclingfishlesshowto.htm

That site says use 5 drops of ammonia per gallon. That would be 15 drops for this tank. That sounds like a lot. Is it?

Cycling takes a while but I want to do this right so that my fish will be healthy!

Today I'm going to get my heater, test kit, maybe a plant, and some water. I have to use bottled water in the tank because our tap water is evil!

I'm really getting excited about my new fish! Any advice is welcome! Thanks :)

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I'm a new betta owner but all the things I read about cycling a tank said that live plants actually help the cycling process go faster.

I just bought a new tank for a 2nd betta fish and started cycling it last night. I added about 6 drops of ammonia and my ammonia level is 4 ppm, I guess it's supposed to be between 3 and 5 ppm (while cycling). Ammonia comes in different strengths (mine is 10%) so you have to just try a few drops and wait 30 minutes and test the level and then add more if needed until you get the level right.

And make sure that you have PURE ammonia, there shouldn't be any other ingredients on the label, just ammonium hydroxide. :)

#4 ·
What is wrong with your tap water?

Bottled water is not regulated and sometimes it is just filtered tap water and can still contain chlorine and chloramines that are harmful to fish and the good bacteria need to cycle.... so be sure to use a dechloranator.
Also, the filtration process can remove the needed minerals that the fish needs for long term health and you will need to add that back or use a 50/50 mix of bottled water and tap.

And just a note-using bottled water will get costly due to the amount of water changes that are needed on a 3g tank to provide quality water for fish to thrive after the fishless cycle is complete.

Your tank looks lovely too....and welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

#6 ·
Thanks for the info guys!

My tap water is so bad that I went through 3 filter pump thingies (technical term) the last time I had a tank because the water is so hard on stuff. I am using Ozarka water right now. What sort of additive should I use in the tank to make it better for the fish?

I got a heater and Java Fern yesterday:

While I was at Petsmart I had to go look at the Bettas. Half of them were dead!! :evil:

I also looked at the mystery snails they have there. Do you guys think a snail and a betta is too much for a 3 gallon?

#11 ·
I like snails and mine have a job in my little ecosystems, IMO a snail would be great in your 3g with a betta.

Look for products that are for R/O water, Seachem make a good one called Equalibrium.
IMO with a 3g tank it needs at least twice weekly 50% water changes with a filter to maintain quality water for the fish and fins and using bottled water could get costly. I have really hard water too and have found that all I have to do is tear down my filters and give them a good cleaning with vinegar to keep them running without issue and some of my filters are near 20 years old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.