Betta Fish Forum banner

Are Dalmatians rare?

18K views 66 replies 14 participants last post by  Bambi 
#1 ·
After looking through LittleBetta's thread, I decided that I would go on Aquabid and find some pretty Dalmatians to gawk at. But there were none. Not a single one.
Are Dalmatians that rare or difficult to breed? Are they undesirable? I think that they're beautiful. :3

#2 ·
I've always wondered this too. I've seen orange dalmatians on aquabid before but not often. I actually just got one not too long ago from a LPS. I didn't even realize he was a dalmatian until I got him home and his spots started developing! I saw another one today at petsmart too, but that's the only times I've ever seen the in stores. They're so beautiful, I wish there were more!

#6 ·
they're common in some areas, not in others. i've seen people get them easily at walmart. i've only seen 4 total at my lps in the last 6 years. x: my first betta was an orange dal. they're pretty uncommon on aquabid, because not alot of breeders wanna mess with the whole orange genetics, and combining red and not-red on the same fish.... x-X

#10 ·
lol, so if I decide to breed my guy, what do I need to look for in a female?

#11 ·
I think that people pretty much try to mate them with a solid orange fish, which I know can be kinda hard to find. Even then, about 50% of the babies turn out Dalmatian

#12 ·
So Im pretty much looking for another girl like my Wildfire?

#13 ·
Yea, actually, it looks like Wildfire would do very well, or another female her color. But you should definitely ask some other people on here lol don't take just my word for it.

#14 ·
the female can't have any red in her at all. if she has red, the chances of the fry being visible dals is like.... nothing. they'll be dals, but you won't see the spots. getting an orange gal will increase your chances, since dal females outside of pairs on aquabid is like........ nothing. x:

#15 ·
Wildfire passed away 3 days after I rescued her, she was an orange cambodian

Wildfire ------>

#17 ·
I know :/
Yeah, severe finrot, SBD, and I suspect she may have had some parasites

#20 ·
I know :-(
and she had a GREAT personality

#19 ·
i've actually be researching Dalmatians, because i want to breed them. .3. that gal, if she was a true orange and not a faded red, may have been perfect! to get the red spots on the body, you have to had a betta with NO red in them at all. orange is perfect, but you gotta be careful about breeding orange with orange. the reason there's so many different shades in an orange dalmatian, is because of the fact that orange fades after a while.breeding orange with orange, will eventually give you soft peachy-pink. i haven't figured out what color you'd have to breed into the line, to produce crayon orange again...

#21 ·
i've actually be researching Dalmatians, because i want to breed them. .3. that gal, if she was a true orange and not a faded red, may have been perfect! to get the red spots on the body, you have to had a betta with NO red in them at all. orange is perfect, but you gotta be careful about breeding orange with orange. the reason there's so many different shades in an orange dalmatian, is because of the fact that orange fades after a while.breeding orange with orange, will eventually give you soft peachy-pink. i haven't figured out what color you'd have to breed into the line, to produce crayon orange again...
She was a walmart betta, so unknown background....
but my dal guy is the same
With the red,it seems people have bred dals to red and have gotten all reds, but when they bred back one of the females with the dal dad they got dals in the mix, so, Im probably goingto he to do some back breeding (which I plan to do anyway since I plan to introduce in some different fin types)

#22 ·
the red on the fins, though, will totally overshadow the red spots. .3. that's what i read on BettySplendens about her dal breeding. she got the best results, when she bred dal to orange. but, that's the fun about dals! they're total unknowns! i want to try crossing dal, to pure white. .3.

#23 ·
XD
I want to try cellophane or dragon ;)

I have seen cellophane dals so Im guessing that would come from that.... but a dragon???

#24 ·
Cellophane would probably turn out well. I dunno about a dragon, it might cover the spots. I've read that the dragon gene is dominant.

#25 ·
O... I hadnt heard that dragon gene was dom. (thats cool :D)

#28 ·
O... thank you Luimeril :D

Where did you see him?

lol Freeflow, I know how that is, Ive been gettingthings all jumbled up lately

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.