Betta Fish Forum banner

anyone know about genetics?

964 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Curlyfatbottom 
#1 ·
i have 2 males and 2 females, my one male is all red and the other all black with some blue on the fins, the one female is white with red fins and the other blue with a black head, genetically whats the outcome if i put my red male with blue female and black male with red female? what are the dominant and recessive traits for bettas?

#2 ·
I don't do good with genetics but I know that to understand the outcome fully you need to know about their parents genetics and all that. If they were from a petshop you can have a ton of different genes for different tail types in them.

#3 ·
The only way to predict color reliably is to use parents from an established, pure (homozygous) strain. Even knowing the background of the fish you are using will not be extremely helpfulful when interbreeding different colors/patterns. Forget most of what you learned in HS biology. Very few living things are as simple as Mendel's peas. Anyway, enjoy the variety and prepare to be surprised!

#4 ·
From what I have people on here talk about
Red is dominate to any other color, if you breed a red fish to any other color, you will get mainly, if not all, red fish
Veiltaile is dominate to any other tail type, not sure about any other tails

But really, mwalter is right, since Im guessing these are petstore fish, you can't really be sure of the genetics, for all you know, you could breed the black to the blue and end up with mustard gasses, its extremelly risky to breed petstore fishies since you don't know if they have any genetic issues (like bent spines)

#5 ·
But really, mwalter is right, since Im guessing these are petstore fish, you can't really be sure of the genetics, for all you know, you could breed the black to the blue and end up with mustard gasses, its extremelly risky to breed petstore fishies since you don't know if they have any genetic issues (like bent spines)
I said that lol.

#6 ·
I agree with everyone above. But as a general guide, the probability would be (not considering genetic background):

Red x blue = few blue, few red (probably cherry red or dark brownish red), mostly blue with red fins.
Black x red = few black, few red, mostly black with red fins.

#9 ·
Indjo speaks from experience, and this is probably your best guide. The biggest mistake here is assuming that one trait corresponds to one gene as you would assume from studying Mendel. This is almost never the case. One gene may be dominant or recessive relative to its alleles (different versions of the same gene), but traits, such as color, are almost always the result of multiple (sometimes many) genes acting in concert. The color you see (the phenotype) may tell you little about the underlying genes (the genotype). Still, generalizations such as Indjo's can be very helpful to the beginning breeder, if not altogether reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.