Betta Fish Forum banner

White speckles

1K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Vikki81207 
#1 ·
So I noticed the other day that Fishy had some white speckles on his fins. The ones that move alot when he swims, the pectoral or something. But when I put the JFC in the water, he seemed okay. I woke up this morning and noticed that they're back. He's got white speckles all on the tips of those fins. Should I be worried. Any idea what it might be? Do I need a different treatment? Thanks for any help guys.

#2 ·
Do the speckles look like salt crystals? If so it is Ich. JFC will not do the job, you will want something with malachite green in it to kill the ich and need to treat for about 14 days. Even after the spots are gone, keep treating, the spots going away means the have fallen off the fish to reproduce, every time that happens they come back with even more.

#3 ·
Now that youa re saying they ar eon the fish then it is Ich. You have to buy special medication like neenjar said. Also raise the termperature of the water to about 80 because Ic will actually get off the fish to go reproduce if the water is warm enough and the medication will then kill it.

Important" Like neenjar said I would keep up with treatments for a few weeks, possibly a month. Use the dosage the bottle says. Ich is annoying to get rid of and make sur eif you have other fish that if you handle ANYTHING in this tank that you wash your hands thoroughly under warm water before touching the next tank!

#5 ·
Ugh okay. I'll have to wait till I can get some money. Hopefully he'll be okay. Thanks guys. I'm def looking into new meds.

#6 ·
Anybody have any recommendations on which medication to use? I want to go out and get something for him tomorrow. Does Jungle Ick Guard Ick Remedy work? Anybody ever used it? I just don't want to waste my money on something that won't work.

#8 ·
Thanks Drama. I think all Walmart has is the Jungle Ick Guard and the only place I can get to is Walmart. So I'm gonna go with that and pray that it works.

#11 ·
Thanks Neenjar. I'll try to keep up the temp and treat him for 14 days. Can't wait for my boy to get better so I can put him in his tank again.

#12 ·
Jungle Ick Guard is my personal choice and it works great!!!

#13 ·
Oh, that's great! I hope it works then. lol

Kay I have one more question, is it okay to mix some meds together and keep them? Like I found the thing that says with JFC to mix one tablet with 10 tablespoons of water to make a concentrated mixture then add one tablespoon per gallon. So can I make this concentrated mixture, seal it in a container and keep it for future use, or will it go bad??

#15 ·
I use the liquid version.

#17 ·
Okay, so they just happened to not have any Jungle Ick Guard. They had the fizzing tabs. But they also had Wardleys Ich meds. I got that instead because it was cheaper, liquid, had better instructions and had that active malachite green or whatever. It seems alright. Anyone ever used it before?? Turned his water blue.

#19 ·
No he's in a 3 gallon punch bowl, lol. I have to improvise for med tanks. But he seems to be doing well.
I have another question, lol.
The directions say to treat, after 24 hours change 50% of water and treat again, then 3rd day change 50% of water and treat again. It says to only use the treatment 3 times a week. So, do I wait a week after the 3rd day to treat again or a week after the 1st day of treatment? And after that 4th day do I change his water completely? Or leave him in it till I treat him again? It's so confusing. lol. If you guys want, I can type up the directions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.