Betta Fish Forum banner

First spawn : Lots of pics

3K views 50 replies 25 participants last post by  tpocicat 
#1 ·
So this is my first time breeding :D I am so excited!

My fry are now 1 week old.... I have a couple q's
When should I introduce the sponge filter into the tank?
I have tested my water twice, 1st time a couple days after the fry were free swimming and I tested it yesterday once again and levels are fine. No big issues there.

when should i do my first water change?

here are pics of the male and female and the babies.....
Do you think the male is a super delta or halfmoon??? hes about 4 months old, i bought him at a LFS and he was so tiny...the size of a young female... prob about 2 months ago....

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I added a sponge filter at 1.5 weeks just for movement so i didnt get the gooey surface, and i did my first waterchange on day 4-5, levels stay great but the growth stunting hormone they release on each other is why i change it daily these days xD

#4 ·
Wow, your male and female are amazing! I can't wait to see the babies when they are older! I bet there going to be adorable.

#5 ·
I am thinking you might get a lot of delta's because I dont know the females background or what her tail is really, but in anycase they will be amazing and you might get a few HM's too

#13 ·
Yeah I dont consider it that hard beyond the special foods and water changes... lol and I am excited too to see what they look like I want to see them and maybe if you have extra buy some :)

#16 ·
Aw, so cute! I didn't start fozen foods till 2 months, but my first spawn has always been on the smaller side. I'm trying to 'power grow' this new spawn, feeding pretty much 4-6 x a day (I have 4 snails scavenging the tank)

I have a sponge filter going from the beginning. That way it is already cycled. I have it set to about a bubble a second in the beginning, from spawning. Then about once a week I increase the bubbles.

I don't fill my spawning tanks, so I introduce a gallon of water a day on a drip, after the first week. By the time they are 2 weeks, I start carefully doing water changes.

The first spawn, I used airline, rigid and flexible, and I sucked up many a fry. This time I'm putting pantyhose or something and just going to change water daily and not worry about all the crap on the bottom until they are much bigger. When it gets really dirty I'll take my little medicine dropper and remove some. Tedious, but I don't want to have to constantly worry about sucking up the babies.

#17 ·
yeah Iv only been using frozen baby brine shrimp i mainly feed microworms.

I put a sponge filter in there at 2 weeks, and my tank is probably 3/4 full. I havent seen them come up for air just yet...

the bubbles are Id say not enough to move the surface but in the area the sponge filter is the water surface does move. Im sure its okay though they dont look like it effects them at all!

I have one apple snail in there and never realized how much they POOP! holy lol. I do 50% water changes everyday, most of the time i accidently suck up fry but today i didnt :D

what did you feed your fry?

#19 ·
Do you find that they eat the frozen bbs without trouble? I always read that you shouldn't feed frozen because they don't move and stimulate the natural hunting instincts of the fry.

But your babies look great! And feeding frozen would be soooo much easier then hatching and feeding live!

#20 ·
Nooo way! Lol my babies LOVE the frozen bbs! I feed it alot! I am just trying to feed frozen daphnia now and they hate it lol i hope they get used to it lol. Im waiting for my grindal worms ! Then i will start that but im kinda scared i hope they arent gross! Lol

#23 ·
Congrats on your first spawn! XD They look adoreable , Im excited to see what sort of colors theyll have!

#26 ·
AWWW.. They are cute as. It'll be interesting to see what they look like once they are bigger..
Congratulations..
Im going to try breeding mine in 2 weeks.

#27 ·
Yours are about two weeks older then mine. xD At first i feared mine were growing super slow but they look about the same as yours at 4 weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.