Betta Fish Forum banner

Feeding tetras

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MSG 
#1 ·
Just got some neon tetras in the tank with Chibi. I had a few questions about feeding though: what kind of food should I feed the tetras and how much?

Also, how do I make sure the tetras get the food instead of Chibi eating it right away before they even have a chance? Thanks guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
Hi there. I am not experienced with keeping neon tetras but I do know how to feed tropical fish.

A diet of tropical flakes, brine shrimp, freeze dried blood worms, and even a couple of live foods like daphnia or tubifex worms can be fed. Like bettas, a variety in diet is best.

To make sure that Chibi isn't gobbling up the food, you could take him out and put him in something for a while during the time you feed the tetras.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Any idea how often or how much I should feed the tetras?

I tried to feed them some freeze-dried blood worms while distracting Chibi, but they just ignored them or didn't see them and let it sink to the bottom. Going to get some flakes for them (any specific brands you recommend?). Also, do tetras come up to the surface where the food is floating to eat, or does it have to sink down to them? Thanks again.

#5 ·
I wouldn't recommend feeding bloodworms till they start to eat the flakes. Certain fish when fed worms instead of their typical standard flake diet will get sort of spoiled and will refuse the staple food for the treats instead.

If I had a tank with neon tetras & betta, the betta would be the LAST to get to the food. So unless you're dumping a heap of food in the tank at feeding, the betta should be too slow to get much of the food WHICH is GOOD.

You never mentioned your tank size, but I usually try to only feed pea sized amounts of food with new fish. If they finish it in 15-30 seconds I will give them more.

#6 ·
The only time I've ever had food sink to the bottom is when I put in too much or used the sinking pellets.

Tetras are usually middle feeders, but will go to the top when they're HUNGRY or feel safe.

Generally tetras will not search for food on the bottom of the tank UNLESS they're STARVING.

Rosy barbs/gold barbs/cherry barbs are great as a ground/plant cleaning crew, but they probably WON'T get along with your betta.

#7 ·
My tets feed at the top of the tank and spend a vast amount of their time in the middle section but I wouldn't just plonk a load of food in and give them 30 seconds especially bettas. I put a tiny pinch of slightly ground up flakes, maybe between 3-6 flakes depending on the size on one side for the tets and hand feed Kyon or Cloud a flake or pellet on the tip of my finger, 3 pellets twice a day or 3-5 flakes depending on the size of them. Cherry barbs are placid so they do make ok tank mates for bettas. The best foody clean up crew imho are Corys but they are subject to tank size and footprint.

EDIT! Just noticed you nly have 2 tetras. I strongly suggest you up the group to at least 5-6 because they are schooling species and may show aggression towards eachother or your betta as they feel safer in larger numbers.

#9 ·
I have a TV & computer next to the tank So I usually watch a 20 minute show during the feedings. Some fish KNOW it's feeding time, some figure it out after they notice everyone gathered at the drop location.

If you have 2 neon's that a huge reason why they might not be eating. The larger the number of number of Neons, the less they'll freak out

Also I've seen some teeny tiny neons for sale. While they're cute, they may not survive if they're stressed. Something to think about.

The place I get my fish has a 15 day guarantee, but I don't know what would happen if the fish was eaten whole.

Out of all the barbs & tetras, my black neons are usually the slowest to react when it comes to food, unless I drop something above their heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.