Betta Fish Forum banner

Petition to Stop Stores from Selling Fish Bowls?

9K views 191 replies 40 participants last post by  xShainax 
#1 ·
I just saw a ton of people on different sites who keep their bettas in 1 gallon tanks or bowls and act like that is a good home for them and they will be happy. It makes me really frustrated inside.

I try to let people know that a 1 gallon tank or bowl isn't suitable for any fish and that it's a shame that pet stores even sell them.

Is there a way to get PetStores to stop selling betta bowls? Does anyone want to start a petition? I heard a rumor that betta bowls were outlawed somewhere, can't remember where though.

Something needs to be done <3 I don't really know how, but I could start some sort of a petition if I get enough support. ><((((º>

#80 ·
Can I just point out we are not saying anything about 1gallon tanks, the aim here to start with is to get rid of tanks of under 1gallon. With the proper treatment a 1gallon tank can be maintained, and can be a good home for a betta, what we are saying is not you are wrong with your tanks, but that a betta will thrive "more" the larger the tank it lives in.

#81 ·
I knew a guy who worked at PetCo and he recommended no less than two gallons for bettas (I drilled him before revealing I was a breeder). He doesn't work there anymore but I wish more stores had employees like that.

A few breeders I used to know worked at PetsMart but were replaced by two idiots who started an argument with me saying bettas would die in bags when they're shipped. As someone who has received many bettas via USPS and seen the unpacking of massive boxes of bettas during shipments from Thailand their stupidity amazed me -_-

At WalMart I met a few employees who had salwater tanks and were pretty smart. Don't work there anymore :/

IME one good way to stop people from buying those tiny tanks is to just stand there looking at products, wait for someone to pass by, then if they make a wrong choice just walk up and talk them out of it. I've managed to point quite a few in the right direction.

#82 ·
Also having arguments will not get this problem solved, we do not aim to upset other members, we do not aim to annoy other members, and also if you are not interested in helping raise awareness on tanks UNDER 1gallon being unsuitable, then please do not post on this thread as it is detromental to any progress that could be made.

#83 ·
IMO/E-1gal is fine for long term keeping for the long fin males-provided that the proper water changes are made to maintain water quality.

You can safely heat them-I like to use the preset Tetra brand 25w heaters-this will maintain the temp in the 76-82F range more or less- depending on the room temp

Filters are optional for this species IMO/E and especially in 1gal tanks-often they can be the cause of fin damage on the long fin males...kinda like the flag in the wind effect.....

In 1-4gal unfiltered tanks-water changes of twice weekly....1-50% water only and 1-100% should maintain water quality-provided that you are not overfeeding and uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time.

In 1-4gal filtered tanks-water changes of 50% twice weekly...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method.

#85 · (Edited)
I am not going to further reply to this thread as its worthless. I was not advocating dirty tanks, I was saying that a one gallon is okay....... I believe you said you don't care about the quality of life of the Betta, but edited it out......
The water volume matters much less than the quality of life which you mentioned you didn't care about before you edited the post where you stated that.

It's hard to be mature when you are stating an opinion as a fact. And saying that a betta at will do much better in a 5 gallon opposed to a one gallon. How the Betta is kept and taken care of depicts how good it will do in tanks of upwards of a gallon (minimum tank size). Is what you are saying from experience? I have done a slightly test and noticed no difference in behaviour between a Betta in a 1 gallon and one on a 16 gallon. Yes. I did use the same Betta for both parts/tank sizes of the experiment.

So you don't care about how a 1 gallon is kept at all? You dont prefer using them? I find this offensive as lots of breeders/experienced keepers/most people on this forum have atleast one 1 gallon tank in use and have a Betta thriving in it, there are also circumstances that you have to take into consideration before stating that a 1 gallon is inideal long term for a Betta as weak swimmers, and blind bettas do well in tanks of this size

#86 · (Edited)
I am not going to further reply to this thread as its worthless. I was not advocating dirty tanks, I was saying that a one gallon is okay....... I believe you said you don't care about the quality of life of the Betta, but edited it out......
Okay. ._. I never said you were advocating dirty tanks, I put it out there that you were using them in your argument in defense of 1 gallon tanks. But the argument didn't really work because a tank could be dirty no matter what size of the tank.

You were mistaken. I never said I didn't care about the quality of life of the betta. (If that was true my 5 gallon tank would be really dirty right now. I do weekly cleanings with a gravel vaccum and do the water changes as suggested.) I said I didn't care how good the the tanks for a betta are maintained for under 2.5 gallons as I don't agree with keeping fish in them in general. I don't find the cleanliness to be an argument for keeping them in small tanks. (Though cleaner tanks is always good.)

It would be nice if we could all be a little more mature in our responses, it also doesn't hurt to keep an open mind to what other people say. Your opinions are certainly welcome, though they may not be right, and others may not agree with them though. That goes for both sides too. I know you said you weren't going to post anymore, so I will wish you to have a good day then.

#87 ·
urg okay guys this thread should be closed. permanently. and any thread like it taken down. this will always become "you're wrong" and "no, YOU'RE wrong" bull argument. this is not what this site is for, to argue with each other. it's to be informed, to opinionate, and work with what you HAVE. some people can only have a 1 gallon, and I know many on here who have wonderful and healthy fish in 1 gallons. this thread has gotten so off track from what the OP was saying about SELLING bowls.

ON the real subject, if the 1 gallons didn't showcase goldfish, it'd be so much nicer. but everything nowadays is profit. good luck with a petition, but try influencing people around you without being pushy (not that you would be :) )

this thread has turned into an insult to breeders and responsible owners who yeah, may not have a 2.5 gallon or a 5 gallon or a 10 gallon... just saying... and I for one will not give this stupid controversial bull any more attention. it'll always go foul.

#90 ·
urg okay guys this thread should be closed. permanently. and any thread like it taken down. this will always become "you're wrong" and "no, YOU'RE wrong" bull argument. this is not what this site is for, to argue with each other. it's to be informed, to opinionate, and work with what you HAVE. some people can only have a 1 gallon, and I know many on here who have wonderful and healthy fish in 1 gallons. this thread has gotten so off track from what the OP was saying about SELLING bowls.
Yes please close the this thread, it would be best for everyone.

#89 ·
Lots of different ways to keep this species correctly....so true, lots of information out there...some true, some myths and some based on viewing this awesome creature as a human with feelings and emotions.......as much as we would like it.....a fish just doesn't have the ability to thinks and feel the way we do.....their brain is not wired that way.......that said.....

By understanding the anatomy, physiology and behavior of the fish we keep can help us understand proper care to meet needs

The Betta splendens is a special fish-by that I mean-its man-made-with years of selective breeding to create long flowing colorful fins......the fins are abnormally long and heavy-nothing like what it came from and so care is going to be much different than it will be with its short fin cousin....many people forget this and with the good intention they have...end up with a sick betta with neurotic behaviors and tattered ugly fins in a short time......

Because of these abnormally long fins that can be really heavy and delicate they are kept in small containers with no water movement....as cruel as some may think this is......this is needed to maintain the long flowing fins......

Most males are placed in a small container by the time they are 2 months of age-this is to encourage fin growth and often the reason we want a Betta...the long fins......along with good nutrition and quality water in these small containers-usually by the time they are 6-8 months old-fins are nearly 80% grown and they are ready to be sold.....

Understand-this long fin male has been in a small container for nearly 8 months-it has long heavy fins-due to space it also has limited muscle mass.....Now the Betta is brought home and feeling sorry for the Betta being in such a small container we toss it in a large volume of water with a filter.......soon we start to see either tattered fins, neurotic behaviors like tail biting, glass surfing, depression...etc.......

Its not that a long heavy fin male can't be placed in a large container of water....they can......and some male can go from the temporary cup to a large tank without any issue.....but some can't...or at least right away....sometimes-some need to be moved in steps.......temporary cup to 1gal-then 2gal-5gal...etc......get the picture.......and some may never be able to keep their long fins in anything larger than a 1gal container or be able to tolerate a filter/water movement without being stressed....when stressed-this can compromise the immune response and this is when you see-Ich, fin rot, lethargy, clamp fins, hiding, poor appetite...etc......sometimes it will resolve on it own and other times it doesn't......

Think of it like......swimming with a 50 pound weight strapped on your back....once you build strength and muscle you can do it much easier....

The flag flapping in the wind......this is what happens to the long delicate fins that are used in a lot of space and water movement......until they toughen up...some do and some don't......this can be related to genetic, age, health, nutrition...etc......

This is just a few reasons why you see/hear about so many different tank size requirement for this species......

Irregardless of tank size.....a Betta can be neglected in a 10gal tank just as they can be neglected in a small tank.......this falls on the hobbyist......

To be a good keeper of fish you must first be a good keeper of water and understand how they interact.....

Bettas don't need large spaces or filters...they do need quality water of tropical temps...

Bettas don't create as much waste and ammonia as some may think...

Starting your Betta in a 1gal container without a filter making twice weekly water changes of 1-50% and 1-100% will maintain water quality, fin health, help build antibodies and a strong immune response, provided that the fish is not over feed and uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time.....

Once the Betta is doing well in the 1gal-then move it to a larger tank in steps to his tolerance or keep it in the 1gal-2gal unfiltered tank.....the longer the fins the less problems you will have by keeping them in smaller containers as long as you provide proper care and nutrition....

Yes, fish like to swim....but think back to that 50 pound weight strapped on your back and remember this is a man-made fish with special needs......if your Betta is stressed, depressed, tail biting, glass surfing, stops eating, can't hold its fins, chronic fin problems etc..... in that 5-10gal filtered tank....try a unfiltered smaller tank.......

Nutrition is often not taken into account and the cheapest food is fed......with a Betta....you need to find the very best quality of several different kinds of foods...pellets, flakes, frozen, freeze dried and live.....they don't have to be Betta specific foods....you do want to find food with the first few ingredients that are fish/seafood either whole or meal....feed small frequent meals....what one food is missing the other food may have........

Nitrogen cycle-you can't establish the nitrogen cycle with out filtration and the Betta doesn't really need filtration.....yes, filtration and the nitrogen cycle will make water change needs easier for the hobbyist...but not so much for the Betta......and due to the limited surface area in small tanks the nitrogen cycle isn't that stable anyway and you still need to make twice weekly water changes to maintain water quality.......

Live plants can be the answer provided that you have the proper lights to support the plants.....thats another chapter........

By understanding the Betta and its long heavy fins.......tank size, filtration, water quality, nutrition...etc......you can maintain those long fins many of us love and one of the reason we keep them for a very long time......

Enjoy....thats what its all about.......

Here is a link to that thread.....
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=78317

#92 ·
My last post here, if you wish to do this. DO IT. The facts we have presented show 1 gallon is okay for keeping bettas however you have the upper hand in saying 5 gallons is optimal (I 100% agree, I love my five gallons). Good luck :)

#93 ·
The way I look at it, in an ideal world, there would be no 1 gallon bowls, or 10 gallon tanks. All fish would be in the rivers and the seas. Buts, we all live here and we can all agree on one thing: our world is far from ideal. When I see someone with a 1 gallon bowl that has a nice set up, Clean water and a heater, and above all, a happy fish? I praise them. Is is not better then those god awful cups they come in?
And when you also look at the bigger picture, have you ever seen those disgusting turtle and goldfish keychains? Compared to those, a half gallon is not so bad. But would I ever purchase one? No. However, I just think of what life might be like for some bettas and like to think that they have life pretty good. That's all :)

#95 ·
Me too. I would love it if all fish could be in their natural habitats, hence why I only adopt fish and don't buy from petstores. Yes you can adopt fish :eek:! Petfinder and other sites have fish you can actually adopt from people that are looking to get rid of their fish. It actually makes me happy that some people choose not to just flush them down when they didn't want them anymore. I couldn't possibly fly the fishies to the tropics and let them all go, but I can certainly give those who are looking for a new home, a good home here.

And yes you are right, there are certainly worse environments for a fish to be in than a 1 gallon bowl that is well maintained, but to me, that's still not a viable reason to have a 1 gallon.

#96 ·
I agree, though I felt as some were starting to get a bit edgy. I try to keep mature and polite, without resorting to personal attacks, like "you are a bad person" for this or that. That's just not the way to go about anything :p

#97 ·
I'm sorry I'm now not posting anymore on this thread as it will get nowhere, I have to agree with the others 1everaspirit, the way you're going about this is rather aggressive, and I wont be party to that

#98 · (Edited)
I really don't see how I'm being aggressive. I'm not attacking anyone personally, just sharing my opinion on the matter. I always try to keep polite and mature in my responses. If people take things the wrong way or choose to take what I say as a personal attack to them (maybe that also reflects some sort of feeling of guilt? ._. Could be a good thing and lead people to make changes, who knows?), I feel like that's more of their doing o_o

I must say though, I have spent a whole lot of time on this thread. I think it's time I get off and go do something else xD Get some exercise or something.

Please take care everyone. And I hope, Sivan, that you are successful with starting your petition. :)

#99 ·
I went into a pet store one time to purchase a Tiger Oscar for my boyfriend, replacing his who recently passed away. My browsing of the oscars was abruptly stopped by a pet store associate, who approached me arms crossed and firmly asked "Are you planning on purchasing one of these oscars?" A little put off by his uppity tone of voice, I said "Yes... I am. Thank you- " "Well what sized tank do you own?" He interrupted. I turned to face him and said "Well, its actually for my boyfriend, and he has a 125 gallon aquarium. Is that big enough for your approval, sir?" (Now, I'm not ever a rude person, but after a long day of everything going wrong, I wasn't exactly in the mood to be put on trial before buying a fish.) His expression changed immediately and he proceeded to silently scoop out my Oscar and letting me leave.

The more I thought about it, the less angry I was at this associate. His stern and defensive attitude, although a bit obnoxious, would stop any novice fish owner for picking an Oscar and keeping it in a tiny, unheated bowl. The oscars they sell at stores are babies, and not a lot of customers know just how large they grow (easily over 14 inches.) Those who do try and buy them are not only confronted with defensive sales clerks, but can also read the tag below the fish that reads "Intermediate level, 75 gallon + heated filtered tank."

If only the store associates would have the same level of protection over the bettas. The world would be such a better place for them. I honestly don't believe that they have a dislike for bettas or don't care about them, they are simply not informed of their proper care and start blabbing what they think they know about the species- and this is where the common assumption comes from that bettas are hunkey dorey in unheated tiny bowls. I think if your petition gets enough attention, and enough people forward it on to friends / family, THAT many more people are now aware. THAT many more people will refuse to buy a teeny tiny home for their Betta.

And, who knows, maybe someday in the near future when I go into a pet store to buy a new Betta, an uppity and defensive sales clerk will demand to know what kind of home I have planned for it. And to that, my only reply will be a huge grin. :)

#103 ·
For the record, I want to say that I do believe that 1 gallon tanks are 100% workable and that betta fish can thrive in them if they are properly kept.

1 gallon tanks just require a lot of work and many people do not want to or have time to put that amount of work into them. Sure, a 50% water change during the week and another 100% water change during the week does not sound like a lot but it is for people like me who, for example, have unsteady schedules that require being up early and returning home very late at night with many projects or commitments to balance either afterward or throughout the week. If someone has the drive, ability, time, and patience to work with 1 gallon tanks then by all means they should use them if they are preferred!

Tanks under 1 gallon, however, should not be sold. Most people do not plan on breeding show bettas or housing more than a few, though usually they plan on just one. 1/2 gallon tanks are tiny and build ammonia very fast. They are considered animal cruelty in the UK. Even worse are 0.3 gallon tanks, which are less than some PetSmart cups at maximum capacity. Aside from ammonia, exercise is denied and it is almost impossible to heat the tank unless you happen to live in a location that does not let the water drop under 75 degrees even at night.

Because of the impracticalities of tanks less than 1 gallon for the average betta caretaker, I believe they should be made illegal for sale for pet care purposes. If there are uses for very small tanks that breeders would need then I would say that those tanks should either be sold as a specialty item in a specialty shop or labelled correctly in pet stores and not advertised as the "ideal betta home" for the typical betta pet. This thought would have to be discussed by breeders, though, and their thoughts/imput must be equally heard.

As for the thread I feel like it has become derailed. I think it is healthy to debate the practicality of such tanks but only through the use of fact and support, not personal attacks or pure opinion.

#104 ·
Sorry for not keeping my promise but I thought that the OP should take a look at this

Mine is in a 1.8 gallon. My mother hates having fish tanks in her house. (I used to live by myself but came home because of financial issues.) I have two 10 gallons and my betta tank.
mine are both in 1 gallons and seem to be happy so far! i am planning my 29 gallon tank though!
Dragon is in a 1 gallon and seems like he couldn't be happier!
I have a 1 gallon a 2.5 gallon and a 10 gallon divided 3 ways. All are very happy fish!
With multiple fish and bettas, among other living creatures in and around my home- I keep my bettas in different sizes ranging from 1-3 gallons.. Once we find a larger home we all can agree on, then can upgrade to larger tanks, along with sororities and a breeding set up.
But for now all are perfectly happy and healthy and I am not as squashed for space :)
Dragonfly is in a 2 gallon critter keeper :) His fins are FINALLY re-growing! I prefer smaller tanks, and my guy doesn't seem to mind.
Have you seen the critter keeper stick? It tells you sizes based on measurements. The measurements are on petsmarts website! I also have one from petsmart, mine is 2 gallons :)
my smallest tanks are one gallon. i have Lulu in one, and Pyro in the other. Lulu, because she stresses in anything bigger, Pyro because i was trying to stop him from pacing. it..... didn't work. :I
1 in a one gallon aqueon
1 in a one gallon petco kritter
1 in a two gallon

planning on rescuing a blue and white marble halfmoon tommrrow, going to keep him in a one gallon petco kritter keeper too
Both boys are in 1.8 gallon aquariums and I just started buying stuff for a 15 gallon sorority!!!!
The minimum I have right now is my two hospital tanks, a 0.25g (0.5g filled halfway) and a 1.5g for my perma floater Kris. But as for healthy Bettas, 2.65g and 3.3g is what I have for the other 8 males.
I have one guy in a 1.5ish gallon storage container. oddly he is more active and colored up more then in the 3G

#105 · (Edited)
Can we please close the thread or let it die off now? No offense to anyone, but as Mo posted, many people have one gallon tanks with happy Bettas, but we all have our opinions.

#106 ·
To the OP, I didn't read the entire thread because we've had many like this before, and a few people on this forum wanted to start some sort of betta boutique kind of thing where they only stored bettas in 2.5+ gallons minimum.

If anybody here has taken any business course in their life, they will know it is not optimal in a business sense to keep bettas in their store larger than their cups. It is the idea of it being cost-effective (NOT because they want more money in their pockets, that is different). The reason is because they can only be kept in solitary confinement. Other community fish can have hundreds squashed into a single tank so the "bulk" will cover the cost of maintaining the 20Gal at the store. If you were to have a bunch of 1 gallon+ heated filtered tanks with bettas in the store, they will have to charge something around $40-50 EACH just to cover the costs of running their solitary tanks.

As for selling small tanks and allegedly promoting cruelty, that is a different story. I would much prefer people to be EDUCATED on how to care for a small tank, rather than just trying to abolish them. Some people simply do not have the physical space to have 5 gallons scattered about the place, you cannot tell these people that they are "unworthy" of owning a betta because they're being cruel. Dramaqueen and OFL and many other people on this forum take fantastic care of their bettas in 1 gallon.

Going back to the business side of it, it is actually more cost-effective for an owner to purchase a larger tank (smaller gallon:price ratio) but the majority of people who purchase fish are primarily uneducated on the proper care techniques a small tank requires. Compounding this on top of the primarily uneducated LPS employees and you have your problem. Many people think a smaller tank is less work when it is actually the reverse.

Education is the answer, not starting some sort of revolution against large companies because a few people don't agree with 1 gallon tanks.

#107 ·
I think the issue isn't about 1 gallons. I think it's about less than one gallons. I mean.. do any of us think these are okay??

And this last one is only 1 pint (0.125 gallons...)

These are the ones that should not be sold next to bettas. None of these can be heated safely. None of these are acceptable. These are the ones that should be targeted.

Couldn't the pet stores house their bettas in barracks inside their larger tanks? That way the filtration is already there. They'd get more space as well, because it would clear up shelving space for other products.

That's my two-cents.

#122 · (Edited)
I think the issue isn't about 1 gallons. I think it's about less than one gallons. I mean.. do any of us think these are okay??

And this last one is only 1 pint (0.125 gallons...)

These are the ones that should not be sold next to bettas. None of these can be heated safely. None of these are acceptable. These are the ones that should be targeted.

Couldn't the pet stores house their bettas in barracks inside their larger tanks? That way the filtration is already there. They'd get more space as well, because it would clear up shelving space for other products.

That's my two-cents.
How big is the last one?! I saw two of those in a second hand store, with goldfish food :roll: stupid thing it was. I would not even stick a plant in it :) literally it would be like me having a betta in a coffee cup :lol: looks silly and the fish can kiss their own tail end :roll:

Did you know? Most petitions fail because of lack of research. People don't want someone coming to knock on their door, ask "you have a betta?" then being told they are wrong and stupid :roll: no matter how it is put it will come to sound like that, even if it is not meant that way. People in this town, a lot of them realized I know what I am doing (most of the time xD) and they ask me, not some store associate. They'll upgrade, they get heaters, they make the trip to edmonton for something walmart and this store doesn't have... because I explain to them why their fish die, or why their fish are sick. I also take their sick fish and explain to them why they get better :roll: But I never say "because you're doing it wrong" I say "because stores tend to sell "goldfish and betta habitats" which are harder to clean, a heater takes up most of the space, and a heater could accidentally overheat and kill the fish." Then they are interested to why bettas need heaters, why goldfish need 30+ tanks usually (depending on the kind of goldie) etc. I had my Oscar in the 20 temporarily so I could get the 80 finished and I personally cannot imagine permanently housing a goldie in there x.x messy... even with double filtration exceeding the tank size

#108 · (Edited)
well, I'm going to agree that in a better world, no one would want to put their betta in something like a betta bowl. At our store, I encourage people to find the biggest thing they can for their fish, and sometimes I even recommend large jars and vases if they already have a betta, because it's inexpensive and will get their fish one- to two gallons of space. (no peace lillies, please....)
I don't think it's wrong to put out a petition with the intent of trying to change people's minds about tiny betta bowls and other such things. Perhaps getting a petition started that swings positive- getting people to agree to provide an adequate living arrangement for their betta. This is a heated topic and, sadly, what constitutes cruelty in the eyes of the law for a fish is pretty limited.
But getting folks to sign on to a positive message alienates less people. Get kids to do a show-and- tell on the best ways to give a betta more room. Speak with your local library about doing an afternoon talk. Set up a table at a town event and get people to spread the word about bigger tanks and jars. Start a facebook page and post pictures of happy betta in cool homes. Positive reinforcement goes a long way in changing a longstanding trend.
For me, I have one guy in a 6.6 gallon, another in a 3 gallon, and a recovering fin-biter in a plastic shoebox set up like a riverbed...the water is only 6 or seven inches deep, but it's longer and wider than my three gallon, so he has lots of swimming room, plants and rocks to play with. And I'm always up on the water changes so he has a crystal-clear river...heh.

#109 ·
I agree with Bahamut about the 1 gallon containers. It's a matter of taking care of them properly. If I had to keep them in 5 gallons or larger then I'd only have like 3 bettas. lol No where to put large tanks.IMO fish are going to get sick, whether they're kept in 10 gallon heated, filtered tanks or a 1 gallon bowl.

#110 ·
So sorry :(
I agree it matter of taking care of. I see so many people have problems with 10 gall or 6 gall with filter and heater, cycling or not cycling.

And if not 1 gall i would not able to have bettas at work. I have 3 bettas now at work. I can't keep bigger tanks at work, but I change their water regularly.They also pretty old bettas lol

#111 ·
Personally I see nothing wrong with a gallon tank to house a betta fish. I keep most of my betta's in mason jars and they are under a gallon. I do daily water changes and my fish are happy and healthy. I have seen no depression or any kind of negative effects of keeping my fish in these small containers. Since my betta's come from huge 55 gallon grow out tanks, and then move to mason jars, I think I have the experience to know if less space has a negative effect on a betta's personality. After practicing this method repeatedly I can say confidently that the amount of swimming space is not what determines the health or happiness of your betta fish. Water cleanliness, nutrition and social interaction is what determines your betta's moods and health.

Personally I think it's wrong to impose your personal beliefs on others. I will not sign a petition that infringes on other people's ability to make their own choices. Having a betta in a one gallon is not wrong, having old water is wrong. The issue is keeping clean water, not keeping a larger container.

This world is full of all kinds of people and there is enough room for all of us to practice our own beliefs without imposing ourselves on others.

#112 ·
+1
I personally think it matter of experience. I have 4 bettas now. I do only 100% water changes which some people think it stressful. And my bettas never even get sick yet. My youngest betta i bought 06/11. Other i bought about 2.8 years ago. They in 2 gall thought.

And now my 4th ,new betta in one gall for four weeks and doing great. I do 100% water changes every 2 days and I don't see any sign of the stress.

Just like someone wrote bettas get sick in one gall or in 10 gall. With 100% water changes or if you will cycle. I also think some bettas more hardy then other, just like human. Someone can get mononucleosis and don’t even feel it, some have it in very complicated form.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.