Betta Fish Forum banner

Help My Fish Is Sick

2K views 49 replies 5 participants last post by  Hadoken Kitty 
#1 ·
I Think He's Depressed He Stays At The Bottom Of the Tank and opens his mouth over and over :cry: :roll: :oops: :-?

#36 ·
Ok, I'm having trouble finding those. You should be using a liquid conditioner. Usually, depending on the brand, you put in a few drops to a teaspoon or two per gallon. It instantly neutralizes the water to make it safe for your fish. Anything that needs to be dissolved, is not a proper water treatment conditioner for water changes.

#32 ·
Also, you need a heater asap! The minimum temperature for your fish should be 76 F

#34 ·
I really wish I knew what you meant by you put it twice. Did you double dose it? You should be careful. Conditioners can affect PH values (or so it does in my tap water)...It won't be immediate, but if your fish starts convulsing you really can't do anything but turn the light out and hope he can ride through it. It's really important to acclimate a fish before putting it in any type of chemically changed water.

When acclimating a fish, you put the fish in a cup full of the old water. Take a spoon full of the old water out of the cup and put it down the sink. Then put a spoon full of the new tank water into the cup (the tank water should already be mixed with conditioner). This should take a minimum of fifteen minutes. The cup should be floating in the tank the entire time, to keep the cup water warm. I usually have the cup water about half full so it floats easier. I also use a clamp to make the cup stay in place.

#37 ·
79 is good.

#44 ·
Is he still jittering around? Mine jittered for about ten minutes, then went back to normal. I just stood and watched horrified.

I pretty much did the exact same thing as you. I was doing a water change and forgot to add conditioner. I freaked and added it with the fish in, obviously not thinking to take the fish out. By then it was too late so all I could do was stand in the dark and watch in horror. He was fine before I went to bed that night, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.