Betta Fish Forum banner

New project

1K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  Anitax3x 
#1 ·
So wit the addition of my new boy Sheldon, I decided to try divided tank once again. This time I got the idea from someone on here to divide the two sections with space in between for the filter and heater. Leaving about 9 inches of horizontal space for each male and in the middle I have 5.5 inches of horizontal space in between the two sections. My filter intake will be baffled and the outflow goes directly into the middle section. I plan to also place fake plants in the center to help block the view of the males between the sections. So I'm starting a thread.
I have a couple questions,
1instead of buyin carbon filter inserts , is it possible for me to just use my left over aq sponge as the media? Kind of like a make shift sponge filter?

2) I have no gravel so I was wondering if any of you have found some cheap anywhere or things you have used that is cheap and betta safe?

3) any objections to my plan? Any issues etc?

I'm gonna post pictures up of what I have so far and what the filter looks like. :)

#2 ·
Here are the promised pictures :)

If you are wondering, Im using the binders and craft mesh method of dividing with the dividers held in place by aq sealant. Please excuse the green dry erase marker I used for my measurements :). Its drying since the package asks to wait 48 hours before adding water. I also wanted to know with that filter if I could use aq sponge as the fikter media as opposed to buying new inserts. So here are the pictures

Attachments

#3 ·
not sure of you specific model, but i got a used filter with no media ( cept the bio wheel) and I jsut crammed the whoel thing full of sponge. works great, and tons of surface area for the bacteria to grow. Shoudlw ork well, thne you never have to replace it either, jsut rinse it

#5 ·
If you are going to pack the inside of the filter with sponge, and the intake will be inside the middle section, you probably don't need the sponge on the intake tube.
Depending on the flow of that filter you might not need to baffle the output either since it will be flowing through two screens. The screens and plants should act as a pretty good baffle.

When you set it up, I would try it without, then if needed you can add extra baffles, a little bit of surface movement will keep that scum from building up on your water.

Keep us posted on how it works. Great step by step pictures you have taken so far too :) I got frustrated with divided 10's because I was not getting good flow through the screens. :)

#6 ·
My intake is actually not going to be in the center, so Thats why I'm going to try it first baffled with sponge, But yea I agree. Okay so that takes an expense off my list for filter inserts (every penny counts!). I'm not going to cram it with sponge I still want to be able to put the top of the filter on, that way I can get movement on the surface :)

#7 ·
Have you tried looking for play sand at home depot? I'm not sure how much it costs, or if it is cheaper but it is aquarium safe as long as it is the sand meantfor children to play with.

#8 ·
The only problem I have with sand is that it gets spots that are anoxic and you have to shuffle the sand around. I found this that OFL talked to me about, if this is the right brand, she said she's used it safely. If anyone knows anythign about this let me know. I'm window shopping right now so I think tomorrow of something like that I'll be getting the substrate :)

#11 ·
I got a 50 pound bag of play sand at Home Depot for $2.69, if you get some Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS) they burrow in the sand to keep the anaerobic spots from forming and they eat algae. They only problem with MTS is that they are considered pest snails so you will have to kill them as you get rid of them to prevent them from invading your natural habitats.

#14 ·
I found a local pet store that just gave them to me because they usually just throw them out. I'm sure if you search enough you can find someone who does the same. If not there are tons of online suppliers who usually sell for $.50-$1 per snail (Not including shipping). They spawn like crazy so you only really need 5-10 and they will start to increase in numbers.

#15 ·
You can also make a "looking for trumpet snails" on craigslist.org if you have trouble finding some.

#17 ·
Here is my stand i found in my closet :) ! Used to be an old tv stand that ended up holding books in my closet. What do you guys think? Ill be covering up the dividers with black tape. And a nice background. So far so good :)

Sorry for some reason it turned out sideways. Oh and you guys get to see me as a baby lol pardon the mess I had to take down a shelf and move a night stand to put this here.

Attachments

#19 ·
Awesome! Aww I wish I had a stand! I have to keep in on my dresser... Hopefully I will get a new dresser that fits into my closet, then I can have room for a stand! :D xD

Keep us updated with pics please! ;)

#20 ·
Technically it was a tv stand slash dresser thing. Okay! So IM FINISHED! I have the two divided sections with sheldon a hmpk dragon male betta 3peppered cories and one adf on the right, the left side has another male hmpk dragon betta xcalibur with 3 emerald cories and an adf. I have more than enough filtration for the fishies. Originally I had my hmpk hermie in with the emerald cories but based on swimming abilities I switched after the pictures were taken. The middle section has the filer outflow and the heater and some tall plants to break the line of sight. The boys have no idea abot each other ans I LOVE IT! It really turned out great! My boy xcalibur loves his log, hes sleeping in it :) and the cories school around and I found one sleeping in the fake bonzai. Too funny! Im thinking of possibly adding more livestock once its running for a bit. I used this bacteria i bought from my lfs that establishes the nitrate cycle almosy a jump start if you will. And Ill be doing water changes weekly until its all set. So far the boys investigated but have lost interedst in their tank mates. Sorry for my horrendous typing Im using a phone! Enjoy my pics!!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.