Betta Fish Forum banner

The story of my new betta ;D

752 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bettalover2033 
#1 ·
Some of you may know that I've wanted another fish, but I just couldn't come up with the money for another one D=
Well, I was at a church rummage sale Friday night, and...

There was a tank! For a dollar! How could I pass that up?!

It came with lotsa things, too (most of which I didn't end up using), including some goldfish food xD
Anyways, it's one-and-a-half gallons, and I had to do some work to make it betta-safe, but I did it!

All the stuff it came with, most of which I'm giving away

Not using the gravel (it's probably nasty anyways), but those little glass beads = YES

Aand I just got back from the petstore =3 It was hard to pick a fishy, but I settled with this baby (literally!) He is soo tiny, and afraid of lots of things...thinking about naming him Eevee, my mom's suggestion lol

The current tank setup:

I still need some shelter-ish thing for him and need to make a better divider between him and my other fish tank. It was a rush job because I didn't know I'd be able to get to the pet store so soon

And so Nereus doesn't feel left out, here's his tank, which I don't think I've shown:

PS. This is an air pump or whatever, right? It came with a little tube thing and a plug, too (plugs into the top) I know bettas don't like them, so is it worth keeping? Or should I give it away with the rest of the stuff?

See less See more
#2 ·
'Eevee' is so pretty. Congratulations ( :

#5 ·
What you have is the intake tube to the under gravel filter which is that hex black piece the end with the air stone goes into the hole on the black piece then you put gravel onto of the black piece in the tank the air being pulled up the tube sucks the yucky stuff down threw the gravel and underneath that black piece

#7 · (Edited)
Score on the free tank! =] The undergravel filter actually does more harm than good. I wouldn't use it.

In fact it's pretty useless to have a filter on a 1 gallon because you have to do daily 50% water changes and every other day 100% changes because ammonia builds up so quickly. When ammonia builds up that quickly you can't really cycle the tank (which is the point of having a filter). Plus undergravel filters only work when you have gravel because it uses the surface of the gravel as a bacteria colonization location as opposed to a sponge or pad in most filters. So you'd need to use gravel.

Unless you get a bigger tank (2.5 gallons and up, you can cycle those) or you're planning to make a sponge filter using that uptake tube in the future,I'd just chuck it.

Cute boy! =] I really like his coloring and the fact that he has a spade tail! =]

#8 ·
You have made a great choice for fish. Bettas are very unique and all have their own personality. Kinda hard to think that of a fish right? Well its true.:-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.