Betta Fish Forum banner

Heater placement

648 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  InfiniteGlory 
#1 ·
I have a HOB filter that is limited to the center of the tank due to the lid design. what would be the ideal location for my heater? Here is a pic of my tank. the filter inlet tube is kinda hard to see but it is offset to the right of center. I have or can get better pics if needed

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I put my heaters diagonal across the back of the tank and place a small airstone underneath the heating element to distribute the heat. However.. since your filter is dead center just right next to the filter is fine. The flow from it should distribute the heat. Most people do one or the other.. either with air stone underneath or next to filter.

I don't see a thermometer.. you really need to be using an in tank thermometer and not assuming the heater is running as you set it. You can move the thermometer around the tank and make sure there are no cold or hot spots.

#3 ·
I second the "It's fine where it is" notion and the "get a thermometer" notion as well.. Since this is a nice looking tank I'd suggest getting one with a suction cup. Not only can you move it around but the strip ones you get for like $1-2 will A. Be wrong B. Be permanent and I remove mine to do water changes to test the tap water to make sure it's the right temp before loading it into the bucket or python. You can't do that with a stick on.

Just my 2cents..

#4 ·
because ur useing a hob in a small tank ur heatetr should be fine as is

#5 ·
You can get a glass suction-cup mount thermometer for ~$2 at Wal-Mart or ~$4 at Petco/Petsmart/LFS.

Just remember do not place it near the heater, try the other side of the tank, in the front, with the bulb fairly close to the bottom. That way you can tell how well the heat is diffusing across the the whole tank. Heat rises.

#6 ·
My betta is in his QT tank about done with fin rot treatment so I have the glass thermometer with him since it is such a small tank with a non adjustable heater. I do occasionally place the thermometer in the large tank for a few hours just to check on it. Once he his done with QT I will put both of them back in the big tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.