Betta Fish Forum banner

Its ether Columnaris or Parasites

950 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  callistra 
#1 ·
I noticed a cottony growth looking kinda what columnaris looks like where the white spots around (what i think is) his rectum were. So I can ether say its Columnaris or its white stringy poo and its parasites. Which would explain the white stomach.

I increased the aeration in the tank and the filter and I plan to do a 100% waterchange as soon as I can, which is around 2pm EST.

Whatever it is seems to be affecting his swimbladder as I have been catching him laying on his side a few times, not dead.

His gills are going about 3 times per second.

He seems to favor laying on his right side.

Should I treat for both athte same time. He still isnt eating.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3g
What temperature is your tank? 78(+-2)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin Tropical Medely
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 30% twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Bettasafe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No, no kit

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally I'd get a broad spectrum antibiotic like maracyn PLUS, Furan 2, or Triple Sulfa. Treat with that and Epsom Salts.
That should take care of either problem.

#3 ·
It is very hard to maintain a biological filter in something of this size. Many people will tell you not to even try and you will always need twice weekly water changes of 50% and 100%. You can try but you should not do so without a good reliable drops kit. Cycling can take up to two months, during which time you should be testing daily for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change anytime either show up. First you would see an ammonia spike, then nitrite. Ammonia will hopefully eventually stick at 0 even after a full week, followed by nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates that can be kept <20ppm by twice weekly 50% changes with siphon/turkey baster or stir/dip method to clean the gravel of debris - never just take off the top.

At this point I would get a drops kit to see where you are at and increase your water changes to twice weekly 50% with siphon, maybe more depending on where the tests lie.

Also treating in the tank will totally toast your cycle and you will have to start over so if you can treat him in a hospital tank that would be better, but it's up to you.

Photos would be helpful.. but it sounds like likely columnaris. I would look for Kanaplex, Triple Sulfa or Furan 2. Kanaplex can be combined with Furan 2 for a more rounded approach. I would also add epsom salts, you must predissolve it and must be 100% magnesium sulfate with no additives. I use CVS Pharmacy for mine. You can start as little as 1/4 tsp per gallon or 1tsp per gallon but add it slowly over an hour to avoid shock.

#5 ·
During water change, you should not just scoop water off the top. You need to use a siphon to clean the gravel during a water change.

#6 ·
Ah I got it. The fungal looking fuzz disappeared overnight, he still seems sick still breathing heavily and his face is more grey. I kept his little betta keeper from walmart. Would it be okay to do an epsom bath in that?

#7 ·
Okay this is starting to really worry me majorly. Its nothing ive seen before in any pictures. When I first got him it looked like he had a pimple where his intestines ended. That 1 pimple became 2 pimples and now it looks like one of them popped and a worm looking thing is coming out of it. Its pointed hes hiding in his hidey hole constantly.

best pick i could get with him hiding like he is

#9 ·
I'm sorry I can't see anything in that photo.. quality is too low and it's too dark.

You don't do separate baths. You add the epsom salts in his container along with meds. Anything you treat him in should be kept warm and if you're doing 1g you should be doing daily water change of 50-100% and 100% by second day for sure.

Are you saying he's pooping worms? Could you be more specific?

#11 ·
It could be bacterial or parasitic. Based on what you've said I would treat in the direction of bacterial and see how that goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.