Betta Fish Forum banner

Aquarium salt - Harmful to plants/shrimp?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  asukabetta 
#1 ·
I recently added 2 new fishes to my sorority, which of course resulted on a bit of fin nipping as they get their pecking order establish. (they are doing fine now) I realized today that one of the injured betta has fin rot. So i quarantined her in a 1g bowl and dose her with 1 tsp of aquarium salt.

I was afraid that the other girls would have fin rot too, and quickly and without thinking about my plants added 4 tsp in my 10g, thinking i will slowly dilute it by doing water changes untill i am sure that my other girls dont have fin rot as well.

I have 6 ghost shrimp and some hornworts, java fern and java moss in the 10g. Do you guys think the salt would kill them? Should i do a water change now to dilute it some?

#2 ·
I suggest you pull out the shrimp and the plants, before adding aquarium salt, I'm not entirely sure if it is harmful for the shrimp but why risk it :) it is however bad for the plants. Keep them in a little container.

But I don't recommend salting the whole tank if there are no signs of rot, just keep the water as clean as you can, with regular water changes, you can also add an oak leaf or an indian almond leaf to promote healing and kill harmful bacteria, mind you they will tint the water brown a little.

Another optional addition is using Stress coat api, which helps fin healing, and acts like a conditioner too. And isn't too expensive.

Keep the temperature more on the low side, around 75-77F, higher temperatures promote bacterial growth.

I insist with the clean water, which is the best healer of all.

#3 ·
I agree.. no reason to add in the salt to the whole tank. Fin rot happens when a fish has a fin damaged and the water is a bit low on the quality side normally. Unsure what your schedule and % of your water changes, would consider doing a bit more of a % or add in a small one mid-week while she has a damaged fin (after treatment) to help prevent rot from reoccuring.

#6 ·
I agree, make sure to siphon up waste that is the main issue of dirty water, with a turkey baster. It seems your water changes are fine, for a cycled tank :)

Put in some indian almond leaf or oak leaf if you want to help against rot or prevent it in the main tank, I do not recommend salt in a cycled tank, I don't think the beneficial bacteria in your filter will handle it.

#5 ·
ghost shrimp -might- have a bit more tolerance for salt, but I wouldn't risk it.

Java fern -should- survive low dose (ie 1tsp/gal or less).

I still recommend against using aq salt in a big tank like that for rot. I'd suggest doing an extra WC or a slightly larger WC to help get the salt out quicker.

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I did a 30% water change this morning, i will do another 30% tonight. Mostly likely, i will continue do 2-3 more 30% water change this weekend.

I use a gravel vacuum to get rid of the waste, sometimes my ghost shrimps gets sucked up and goes for the ride haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.