Betta Fish Forum banner

10gal?

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Ariel1719 
#1 ·
Alright so my plan is too put Bacardi in a 10gal on my desk (hopefully by this weekend) I just want to know what else i should put in with his tank. Itll be a fully heated/filtered/lighted/well stocked tank. I know i want at least 2 ADF's. Maybe a cory cat or two? but is that over stocked already??
By july im going to get a 2nd 10gal and split it for my 3 other kids.

#2 ·
#4 ·
You can't keep angel fish with bettas. Angel fish get much bigger than bettas and will nip their fins. Its also ill advised to put any brightly colored fish like mollies in the tank either.

In a 10 gal you could easily have 2 or 3 ADF and 3-5 cories (they like to be in groups!). I wouldn't do tetras because they're known to be fin nippers. Other good tank mates are ghost shrimp, snails, ghost catfish (I think they're really cool).

#5 ·
Angelfish: Get big and can nip fins.
Zebra Danios: Nip Fins
Molly, Swordtail, and any live bearers: I never had a problem with, but the betta could hurt them.
Tetra: Nip Fins

#7 ·
Thanks guys! i just went out and bought the 10gal
so im getting it set tonight, gunna make sure its ready for tommorow
and then buy the others (probs 2-3ADF and 2-3 corycats)!

#8 ·
I would cycle your tank before adding the corys. They're scaleless fish and very sensitive to water conditions. Since you don't have the fish yet I would do a fishless cycle and add the fish once the cycle is over.

#9 ·
I agree that ghost catfish are really neat, but I'm pretty sure that 10 gallons would be too small for them.

Beta novice: Not sure what you mean about "black ones not brightly colored ones", but angels and bettas do not generally mix. Unless we're thinking of different fish, I don't see how a different colour would change an angel fish's behaviour? :-?

Don't get a pair of Cories. I would get, at the very minimum, 3. But as they're shoaling fish, the more the better! Most people recommend keeping around 5 or 6.

#11 ·
Yeah, I'm not really sure myself. I thought they needed at least 20 gallons, since they're schooling fish.

#12 ·
It would probably be best. I only did a little research on them but as far as I know they only get up to 3 inches and as long as you have about 6 in a group it would be fine. That would still probably be pushing it for a 10 gallon.

#13 ·
OR

you can have 6 harlequin rasboras and 1 Betta. You definitly wont have any problems with harlequins as they are very peaceful n active. Makes the tank more lively.

Ghost Shrimp: When they are small okay, but when they get big n their pincers also get big, they will nip at your Betta aggressively if your Betta comes across it. I had to take my Ghost shrimp out n put him in a different tank cos the fights were getting too scary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.