Betta Fish Forum banner

Filter Issue?

593 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  XSprinkleFaceX 
#1 ·
My filter is a carbon filter that came with my Aqueon Minibow 5.0 and it looks like its drowning with water. The water isn't coming out of the water fall thing...instead its coimng through the like ramp? thing on the side...is this normal?
I've tried seeing if i lower the water if it stops but it's not. I personally like it better this way because the filter had a wide strong current that my betta couldn't even swim through the middle of the tank (if that makes sense). Now the current is only on a small area. Just wondering if this is bad for my filter or if theres something wrong.

#4 ·
Since you just did a rinse of the filter media, I would tear it down and do a complete clean and check the propeller and any moving part.
Or-cut a slit in the filter media and dump all the carbon out if the carbon is old and see if that will fix the flow
How old is the filter media?

#6 ·
That depends....if you want to use carbon or not, personally I don't use carbon when a water change will do the same thing for most issues that carbon will take care of.
This is a 5g tank...right?
If you change out the filter media, I would cut the sponge part off the old filter and keep it with the new filter media so not to cause any spikes, especially since it is still new and cycling or just bump up the water changes and add a 50% water only change during the week for a couple of weeks or monitor the levels.

#7 ·
Usually thats what I do with the carbon filter. 50% water change each week.
and yes it is a 5G.
I'm gonna try first taking the filter apart and rinsing it through. Maybe its clogged or something... If that fails I'll do everything else you recommended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.