Betta Fish Forum banner

Extremely concerned!!!! Please help!!!

405 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
we have a filter, low flow, and quiet as can be, however my betta gets itself suctioned to it quite often! he easily pulls himself off, but i little while later will go right back to it... like he really enjoys it?!?!? is it boredom? lonliness? does it just feel good to him???? it freaks me out!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
Could it damage his fins if he gets caught up in the filter? If so, you could try and baffle it with a sponge, depending on what kind of intake it is. If it isn't going to damage him, then there's no harm in it at all - a lot of bettas seem to like that kind of thing. They don't get lonely and shouldn't get bored as long as they have an interesting environment with plants and places to hide.

#3 ·
I find that a lot of Betta especially those with long fins get tired of trying to battle against water currents continuously and will let the water drift them to wherever, which always leads to a filter of course. I'm not sure if its out of pure enjoyment, it might be rather that it's tiring to keep still in water with a current.

You can always take a piece of sponge and make the water flow even smaller, and see if he keeps doing it.

#6 ·
More and more members are coming to the conclusion that, as long as the Betta aren't hiding from the current or getting their fins damaged, they will benefit from as much current as they can handle.

I provide plants which they can use to rest on when they get tired. They seem to enjoy some current. They even like getting tossed around by the refill water when I do a water change. My Plakat deliberately swims into the filter outflow -- like weight-lifting.

(This stuff is right on topic.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.