Betta Fish Forum banner

Fin rot or fin growth?

804 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Aquatail 
#1 · (Edited)
I have recently bought a veil tail betta a few weeks ago.
At first he was placed in a 1L aquarium but I then placed him in a 20L tank; decorated, has a filter with a low current hitting against the wall, a heater set on 27°C, a thermometer, live plants, the aquarium is complete with a fluorescent light and hood attached, an air stone I set on low, no gravel and housed with a small bristle nose pleco.
His tail was much more longer when I first got him. I've seen bits of his tail on the bottom of his tank (probably biting since I was adjusting the current so it could cycle the tank) and have seen some white at the ends of his tail; I don't know whether it's fin rot or fin growth.
He is very active and eats healthily, but recently he ate some algae tablets -meant for the pleco- so I have starved him for 2 days now.

What's happening? He's my first betta so far. (Planning on more after I get used to him ;p)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A lot of things can contribute to tail biting. But mostly stress or boredom. My betta likes to bite his tail because I think he wants to be a plakat :). The longest he ever let his tail grow was a month and then he started chewing again. These are what I have done, however tail biting is still recurring.

1. Reduced filter flow, then changed to a quieter DIY filter. My old filter vibrated too much at low setting, that's why I removed it.
2. During water changes, I pour clean dechlorinated water into a small cup and add into tank, to reduce shock and stress. After 5 mins or so, I add another cup. This normally takes up to 1-2 hours for 50% water change for 3 gallon tank.
3. Feed him twice a day at constant times. I used to fast him once a week, but his tail biting got worse.
4. I also put some floating plastic (cut out from milk bottle) so that he can make his bubblenest.

Unfortunately, these steps didn't stop him from chewing his own tail. Just list down what do you think contribute to his behaviour and hopefully you can identify the exact problem. Good luck!

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply! Sorry I'm late at replying, Merry Christmas! I was so busy up until Christmas.
I found out why he has tail snags -from the decoration being too close to another- and his tail biting was from the current. I'm going to buy a new filter since it broke for some reason. His tail doesn't have black lines so I'm glad.

Thanks Aquatail and chlorp101

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.