Betta Fish Forum banner

Looking for advice on caring for my new betta

681 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ANHEL123 
#1 ·
I bought a betta from walmart early this morning and have moved him into his bowl. It's a 1 gallon bowl. (I think. It might even be a 1.5, but it is definitely at least a 1 gallon.)

I have, in the past, cared for betta fish. When I was a teenager, I kept one fish alive for two years in this same bowl, and I knew absolutely nothing about bettas when I bought him. (He was a strange impulse buy). He would make bubble nests and seemed very happy until he died of dropsy, due to my lack of knowledge. :cry:

So, with this guy I want to do a bit better. I did buy him from walmart, as said, so I am concerned he might not be healthy.

I transitioned him into his bowl over the course of about 12 hours. The water is dirty now thanks to all the crap that was in his cup, but I didn't want to risk shocking him by not dumping the entire cup in. He seems happy, I guess. He keeps hiding from me, and ignores his reflection in the mirror.

I have several questions to begin. First, when should I do the first water change? Should I do a complete water change, or only 50%? I plan on doing the twice a week suggested in the care guide on here, but I need to know when to do the first.

Second, he has no color in his face. I have medicine and stuff coming in the mail, just to have on hand. Should I give him a little just in case he has something? Those fish in the store were all pretty horrid looking. I got the smallest and most active fish I could. Is his face just normal, or does it mean he is sick? My fish that died of dropsy turned white before he died, so that's the only reason it makes me nervous.

My plan is to eventually transition him to a 10 or 20 gallon tank. I need to cycle it first, (after I buy it next week...) and introduce tank mates before him, so it will be a couple months before that happens. I'll have more questions soon about which fish I should choose. (I'm overly excited, kinda obsessed with this)

Thanks for your help!

I attached a pic of him. It's hard to see his coloring, but from just above him mouth to down his beard is white.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
He's very pretty! The coloring on his face is normal, but he could still develop more/brighter colors after a while of a good diet and clean, warm water. Unless there's sign of an illness or something like a parasite, as long as he's eating, swimming, and his fins aren't clamped up he's probably doing okay and doesn't need medicine. It may take him a few days to adjust and begin eating normally, just keep an eye on him. As for water changes I do two or three 50% a week, and a 100% at least twice a month for my 1.75 gallon. You could do more frequent water changes initially to help get him back to good health if you like :)

#3 · (Edited)
he is beautiful! :p i would wait a bit before doing a water change just like 1 or 2 days just to let him calm down since moving in a new house is hard and very stressful. dont forget to add water conditioner a lot help with stress depending on which you take :) and its normal for him to hide cause like i said hes probably terribly stress so i suggest letting him be a few hours before going to him closely again but still keep an eye on him since you got him from walmart and he might have something but from the look of the picture he looks perfectly fine. dont forget to check the temperature often to make sure there are no fluctuations it will help a lot to make him more comfortable in his new tank and keep him healthy :p
good luck

#4 · (Edited)
He looks like a normal healthy crowntail. His color will come up as he gets used to things and he'll eat when he's ready.

Right now
change as much of his water as you can without removing him. Match the temperature and use water conditioner. Then put him someplace quiet and dark (cover his tank). If possible, assure his water is a steady 78*. A steady anything is better than variable temperature.

Do not medicate or use salt unless you're treating him for a condition and know for certain what it is.

Use Prime water conditioner by Seachem to keep ammonia under control, especially important in a small tank.

High-quality food is important. New Life Spectrum Betta or Omega One betta Buffet are the best you can easily get.

Get the larger tank (10g is good, 20g is better) and an appropriate heater as soon as possible. Don't worry about cycling, just get him in there and out of that 1g bowl.

Have you read this?
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/betta-fish-care/betta-basics-introduction-bettafish-care-232570/

That'll get you started.

Welcome to the forum.

#5 ·
Thanks all! He is a lot more active today and whenever I walk by he darts out of his cave and greets me. He is eating great, also. He seems to love his bowl and especially his blue fake plant.

I'll change some of his water in a little while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.