Betta Fish Forum banner

Need help new to bettafish forums

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  NobleNoob 
#1 ·
Hi, i'm new to the betta fish forums! I just had a question! I got a used but perfect with no scratches 40 gallon tank off of craigslist. (I have my betta, Mr. Nibbles, in my 10 gallon tank.) I have the tank with a glass cover. I purchased online yesterday a thermostat heater 100w, a 55/57 Oversize filter (cleaner the better!) a bunch of random fish food, a siphon for aquariums, a bunch of filter sponge thingies, black aquarium sand substrate (very fine), a 36" Fluorescent Strip Light, a giant rock with plants (silk) growing off of it, tons of more silk plants and a giant rock cave. a lot of ornaments lol. Usually I put like a small leaf in xD. Oh yeah, also I got bacteria in a bottle, its like API Quick Start water conditioner. I got normal stress plus water conditioner too. So, my main question is what kind of fish for a 40 gallon tank? its standard shape, pretty long than wide. I wanna have some nice bigger fish in it. I know oscar fish need at least 75 gals. So no, sadly...:( (my betta is prob going in there) I wanna have really intelligent fish, with a lot of personality, and that is fairly large (maybe like an oscar or a little less XDDDDD) I plan on getting like 4 cory cats because I got the smooth sand for that, Mr. Nibbles is hanging at the top prob, cories usually on bottom. But, I'm looking for a nice sort of large fish with personality etc. that would hang in the middle. I would prefer a colorful one. And remember, LARGE. (more than one in the middle pls, maybe schooling behaviors) Please, give me all ur opinions input etc. I am in need of ideas of fish.

See less See more
#5 ·
No, no and no... Barbs are very aggressive and will kill the betta, Angelfish can be aggressive and the betta can go after them. Rams are okay.. sometimes... need to go into detail about the hundreds and hundreds of cichlids, can't just generalize it.. gouramis are a big no with male bettas - both are labyrinth fish and gouramis are very territorial at the surface.

The ones you just listed are NOT idea with a male betta. If you remove the betta from the tank then sure, can have some of them.. don't mix them all up - don't want barbs with angels, etc.

#3 ·
Large is relative, and a 40 gallon is not that big...not with regards to larger fish. What do you consider to be big for a fish?

What are the dimensions of the tank? 36x18?

Are you planning on keeping your betta in the 10 gallon or the 40?

#6 · (Edited)
If you like Cory, they like schools of 6 minimum, 8-10 or more is even better. Work with Jaysee on this. He knows more about it than anybody here. Love to see pics as you go along and when you're done.

Myates' suggestion is a good one. Leave the Betta in his 10g and build yourself a nice, balanced 40g community. You'll have more options that way.

Welcome to the forum.

#8 ·
If you like Cory, they like schools of 6 minimum, 8-10 or more is even better. Work with Jaysee on this. He knows more about it than anybody here. Love to see pics as you go along and when you're done.

Welcome to the forum.
I have to disagree, he listed fish that are deadly to each other and to bettas.. I have 20+ years of experience in stocking freshwater tropical tanks, and when I saw that list I cringed. Not with a betta - have to look for peaceful tropical fish and then it depends on the species - most tetras should not be housed with a long finned male betta and so forth. Best bet is for the person to find fish he loves, then make a list and post it here asking yay/nay on them and then taking with a grain of salt what some people say as obviously people can give deadly advice.

#7 ·
40g isn't big in a relative term for aquariums.. you can get a couple larger of a particular cichlid species - but you will have to go through them all and see their needs and research. DON'T follow any 1" rule on stocking - look at the temperament of the fish you are interested in, and their space needs. Keep in mind the bio load when stocking. I would just do basic searches on community freshwater fish and see what you can find that way :)

#12 ·
okok, i think I'm gonna keep Mr. Nibbles inside my 10 gal....so that being said, what are some nice fish that are fairly large (and btw by large i mean somewhere around a little bigger than a giant danio or the same size) but I need some fish ideas that talk about fish that dwell normally in the middle of a tank that can be kept in groups! (also, I need some ideas for the more UPPER dwelling fish) thanks for all ur feedback so far :3

#15 ·
I apologize, I misread the name and I'm sorry. It's important to make sure to research any that you wish, and research on multiple sites (and ask here of course) to get an idea.. a 40g you can make a great home for some fish, just need to decide if you want peaceful, semi aggressive, aggressive or specific species :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.