Betta Fish Forum banner

Nix and Aquarius

791 views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  LadyVictorian 
#1 ·
So when I put Nix and Aquarius side by side in their cups like I normally do when cleaning their tanks Aquarius ignored her as he always does at first. However once he looked at her he flared a little then stopped and just watched her and Nix (who's body is normally slightly light because she is still a young girl, about 3 months old) turned BRIGHT BRIGHT purple. I mean her whole body turned purple. Normally when fish are stressed they go pale right? Well can they become brightly colored when stressed too? Her color was very beautiful and I have never seen her do that before where she actually darkened. What was that all about?

#2 ·
? flirting maybe? I'm not sure

#7 ·
He's doing great. I let him be apart of the sibling social gathering and he was showing the youngins a thing or two about being a betta. He's feeling good and spry, even found a new favorite hiding place, under the lid I put at the bottom of his hospital tank so he couldn't see his reflection. I walked into the room to him flaring at his reflection and it was so weird seeing his face aimed down and his but in the air. Now that he discovered how to squirm under the lid he's giving me a heart attack. I keep thinking he died and then I open the tank and he swims up to say hi >.<

#9 ·
Oh I don't plan on breeding them. Aquarius has poor conformation and Nix is just a veiltail. If I wanted to breed I would get more impressive fish. Plus call me selfish but babies would get in the way of our epic bounds. Nix is my baby girl (rescued her as a baby) and Aquarius is my gamer buddy. If he had babies to watch then he couldn't watch me play Skyrim anymore. Dragon slaying is our fav pastime.

#10 ·
Looks like he's doing great!! Don't worry about it, he'll be fine. I'ma search that rescue thread.
Breeding is a TON work. And it also shortens their lifespan so if you're really close to them, I don't recommend it.

#11 ·
Oh ok. My bettas, Devil Angel and Oasis are over protective of me. Devil and Oasis would flare at my pop and angel would watch him then me making sure I was ok. I would c why u wouldn't want to breed. Ps why won't Angel flare
at reflection?

#12 ·
I'm adding more photo's of him tomorrow. His fin rot is clearing up quickly. Can you say possible adoption in the near future? I'm writing out his file right now in fact xD. Thinking of how I can add photo's to it.

Also yeah, Nix has a different destiny, sorority tank. Once I get the 10 gallon and she gets a bit older I'm going to get a bunch of younger girls and start up a sorority tank. You can bet the first week I won't leave that tank alone without making sure everyone is getting along and they established a good solid pecking order without confusion. I was like that when I started my female mouse tank. Every day sun up to sun down I was sitting near the 20 gallon community mouse tank making sure when there was a fight no one was bleeding.

Also I am not going to breed fish because after I move to MN I might finally open my mousery and breed satin mice :D

#13 ·
I put angel ( mr non flare ) in a 10 gal. I was going to check on him ( 8th time in 2 mins,) I had turned in the light and he freaked. He torpedoed straight to the bottom hitting his head. He layed there, and I thought he was dead so I took a net and moved it ( in the tank) around him. He looks a bit unstable, and I'm worried he won't make it through the night :*(

#14 ·
Is he sick? Does he have something?

Also Leberon, I posted pictures of Nix in the female betta picture thread with her appropriate name. She was given a title this week after i watch PotC and I swear...she watched the WHOLE movie with me. I have never seen a fish pay attention that long, must have been all that ocean she was amazed with. That's a lot of water for her to comprehend xD

I'm going to get her a sunken pirate ship decoration for her 10 gallon too now xD

#15 ·
Also Leberon, I posted pictures of Nix in the female betta picture thread with her appropriate name. She was given a title this week after i watch PotC and I swear...she watched the WHOLE movie with me. I have never seen a fish pay attention that long, must have been all that ocean she was amazed with. That's a lot of water for her to comprehend xD

I'm going to get her a sunken pirate ship decoration for her 10 gallon too now xD
Let me see. I'm going to post in that thread soon with my girls! (; In a month. Haha Bettas are the best fish I've ever seen in every pet store. They're just... Perfect. <3

#16 ·
I agree they are. I want more girls. I started out loving boys but since Nix I really love my girls now. I figured I would, I loved my female mice so much but i still enjoy my boy a lot. I am also loving my rescue guy, he's just a total clownfish xD

I'll have to say if I wasn't so set on breeding mice I would breed betta. Not sure if I will have time for both ever, breeding any animal is expensive and I know it's taken me YEARS just to learn mouse genetics, proper care, and conformation. It would be scary to have a mouse litter and betta spawn at the same time, so so much work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.