Betta Fish Forum banner

a thank you story

1K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  dipsydoodlenoodle 
#1 ·
yesterday I went to petco and noticed a beta fish so pretty that I decided to buy him. I just became a preschool teacher so I gave myself the excuse that I can bring him into class one day and teach the kids about fish. I bought one of the standard 1/2 gallon tanks that they always sell next to the betas at petco, a couple tablespoons of gravel and a tiny statue of buddha and I brought him home. I knew nothing about betas except that they live in tiny tanks and that they're really beautiful fish. When I got home I felt guilty watching the little guy try to swim around the tiny tank, but I thought thats just how you keep a beta. I was so excited about my new fish that I stayed up late into the night googling beta fish and looking up different websites about them. That's how I found this site, and confirmed what my gut told me when I first brought him home, that he would be much happier in a roomier tank. Today I went back to petco and returned the 1/2 gallon tank and came home with a 2 1/2 gallon tank, complete with gravel, plants, a cave, heater, light and filter. When I told the cashier that it was for a beta he laughed. I guess they're used to people only ever putting their betas in the tiny bowls. Anyway, me and my new little buddy thank you all for this great site and all the information in the forums! I've already learned so much about how to keep the little guy happy :)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
#7 ·
WOW! I don't think I've seen a Red halfmoon butterfly before! =]

He's GORGEOUS!!!! I LOVE your tank too! That vase hideout makes it look MUCH bigger than 2 1/2 gallons! =] It's so pretty with his coloring too! =]

Good luck with him and if you ever need help just start a thread. If the repliers don't know the answers, chances are they can refer you to someone who will! =]

So what's his name=]

Also: COOL! You're a teacher! =]

#8 ·
Very pretty little guy! I also have that jar in my tank as well as the brown one in another. I love those things.

I should also mention that plastic plants will most likely tear Mister Betta's very beautiful fins. So I would take them out and get silk or live ones before that happens.

#12 ·
Thanks for the Replies! Yes, he is a very attractive boy :) My little guy is still Doing great, just getting used to his new home. I have learned even more about him over the weekend, and the plastic plants are gone. I will look for silk plants to replace them

The problem I'm having is he hasn't eaten anything since I got him. Im being patient, i think he might just be freaked out since he has changed homes twice in just a couple of days. But he has gone as far as taking a piece of food in his mouth but he spit it back out. So he might not like the food I got for him. If he doesn't eat today I will get him some pellets, I read that sometimes bettas don't like flakes.

I do have a heater for him, it's under the gravel :)

I haven't named him yet, any suggestions?

#14 ·
The plastic plants are extremely overrated. Please, before you throw them out, try the pantyhose test. If the pantyhose gets caught, it will most likely rip your fish's fins. If it doesnt, your fine! I use plastic plants and Aurora always swims right into them and is fine.

#16 ·
I'm glad you decided to get your fish a bigger tank! You're such an amazing owner and your betta fish is awesome. I'm sure your students would love to take a look at your fish :)

#17 ·
Don't be too worried about your friend yet, it usually takes bettas a couple of days to become fully acclimated. They can go a number of weeks, 3, without eating, though it definitely isn't suggested you do that often o_o He should start to settle in soon. If he doesn't eat in the next week or so, though, try a different food (different pellet types, flakes, bloodworms, ect.) and see if he'll take them. Then slowly acclimate him over to the food you want him to eat. Bettas are notorious pigs, so once he gets settled he should LOVE you for feeding him, and will be begging constantly :)
He's a gorgeous boy, and I bet he's in LOVE with his new diggs. Almost anything seems better than a teeny little cup.

#18 ·
Hey, don't feel bad. I thought the exact same thing about betta's. I bought a small square vase, I would say maybe a little over a pint. lol. It certainly wasn't even a 1/2 gallon. I actually spent all my money on the little I bought him at first. So my betta, Zombie, had to live in his little square vase for a week or two. I got him a 1.5 gallon tank w/ a filter. Still no heater. But he does have a cave, a plant, and pink and black gravel on bottom and then the smooth round stones on top of that.

#20 ·
Very beautiful betta! I guess your betta is a lot happier now. Good luck! Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.