Betta Fish Forum banner

Lethargic at high temp

462 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Panzer 
#1 ·
Barakus has been Lethargic the last week. Lays around most of the day and comes up only to greet and see if there is food. Hasn't built a bubble nest in a week either. I noticed the temperature was 85 or 86 so I unplugged the heater. Water did not seem that warm to the touch. The temp is coming down and we'll see how that goes. I read that with higher temps fish become more active, this doesn't seem to be the case with Barakus.

#3 ·
Marina Mini Betta heater, non adjustable. Shut it down 45 minutes ago and it's come down from 84 to 80. It's late so it's rest time for him anyway. Ill have to wait until tomorrow to see how hes doing. Funny thing is I have central air and the house should be at 74. How is the water that warm without a heater?

#4 ·
Your tank might be in a warmer pocket, but it also is probably taking a bit to cool down since it was at 85. It usually tanks a few hours for water to cool down to room temp if it was warm, so just keep an eye on it.

What's your tank size? Your heater might be a bit overpowered for it as well. I believe it's a general rule of 5 watts per gallon, but depending on the brand you can get away with a bit more or less.

Eheim is a wonderful brand if you end up needing a new heater. I have a 25 watt that is fully submersible and adjustable. They're a bit big, but they're very reliable.

#5 · (Edited)
So the temp went down to about 76 and he is still laying on the bottom of his tank. Still swims up to greet and is eating healthy. His waste looks normal. He swims up quick to get air and shoots back down. His stomach has always been alittle bloated. Thought he could be depressed so I moved his plants and rocks around, still not getting much out of him.

As a side note, his tank is next to Grimm's tank. He used to flare at Grimm and now he does not. But for some reason he does flare at my stepsons betta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.