Betta Fish Forum banner

Help!! whats wrong?

688 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Sweeda88 
#1 ·
About a week and a half ago noticed my beta was starting to lose his color. After about 3 days i went to Petco and they gave me Bettafix. I have used this for a week and no change. When i first got my beta about a month and a half ago he was happy and making big bubble nests. I had to relocate him to a shelf that was pretty high bc my cat kept messing with the bowl, and he has not made a bubble nest since, and now almost all of his color is gone? He used to be bright blue and now this...please see pictures and let me know if there is anything i can do? Also i noticed the whitish circle around the dark part of his left eye is dark...the circle around the white eye is still light colored....i have also noticed him swimming erratic down into the rocks on the bottom and going under them.... here are some pics....

Taken today

Taken a week ago

See less See more
#2 ·
What a lovely Betta you have...sorry you are having problems...have a few questions...

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, filtration, live plants, water temp, additives used, appetite-and what are you feeding and how much, how long have you had him in this setup?

#3 ·
The tank is just a 1 gallon bowl with no filtration or heater....i am unsure of the water temp...i was talking to someone else on the internet, and i believe what i am doing tomorrow is buying a 5 gallon tank with a filter, a heater, thermometer, and epsom salt.....

i am currently feeding him betta flake food, as he will not eat pellets.....i feed him a small pinch a day....

water change is 100% 1 time a week....the last one was yesterday....

#4 ·
Good idea buying a bigger, heated tank. You should make 100% water changes daily because he is sick, or he may just be cold. Stop using the bettafix until we know what is wrong. Nice fish though.

#6 ·
Are you concerned about his color change? He looks fine to me but he looks like a marble.....he carries the gene so expect his colors to change frequently....sometimes overnight!

Do put him into a larger, heated, container.

Happy betta keeping!

#7 ·
Yeah, he was solid bright blue for the first month and a half i had him, making bubble nests etc....and for the past week and a half he has lost almost all color in his body and about 50% in fins....was not sure if this means something is wrong? just is kind of weird i thought....he still eats the flake food...never has ate pellets...but anyway i will buy new equipment tomorrow to see if it helps the color come back?

#8 ·
If he is a marble, the color won't come back. They change colors frequently and unexpectedly. Don't worry, it doesn't mean he's sick. Unless he starts acting differently, you don't need to worry. But DO still get the new tank and heater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.