Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta has ripped fins and constantly flaring?

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Sakura8 
#1 ·
I have two of my betta in this tank:
http://www.petco.com/product/12351/...px?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_FishTanksAquariums

As you can see the divider is like a grid and they can see each other very well. So whenever one of them rests on the divider, the other just eats at him...I have tried plants and rocks. Trying to block their view of each other. What can I do to stop them from seeing each other? I was thinking of getting those aquarium backgrounds and taping it to the divider and just poke holes through it, but it is kinda expensive :| Any ideas? Please?

#2 ·
I've seen these tanks in action and those holes in the "divider" are HUGE. To be honest, if I were you, I would either get 2.5 Gallons for BOTH of them, or split a 5Gallon tank in half for them.

They may or may not stop, it depends on the temperament of the boys you have. One of my males is extremely peaceful and NEVER flares, while my other boy thinks he owns the place.

#3 ·
I agree with bahamut.

I'm not sure I would use a tank that size as a divided tank. There just isn't enough room (in my opinion) to have enough decor for them to be distracted with; or to get away from each other.

#4 ·
They really shouldn't market that tank as a divided tank for bettas. It's too small. With two bettas, the water changes needed are frequent and as everyone has pointed out, the holes in the divider are quite large. And I've heard stories of the divider catastrophically failing too. I would agree with the others, it's best to get them separate tanks or divide a 5g with something like black craft mesh so it's harder for them to see each other.

#5 ·
Well, I can't get another tank. Not possible. So what should I do to stop them? Should I just get the aquarium background?

#6 ·
No, I don't think the aquarium background would work well. Get the black craft mesh at a craft store. If you can, get these at your local office supply:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Slide-Grip-Report-Covers/product_138289

Don't worry, that's just an example, you don't have to buy 50. What you want is the slide grip spine.

Cut the craft mesh to fit the tank, then slide the report spine onto each side edge (the part that will go up against the tank wall). Cut the spine to fit as needed. Check to see if it fits the tank and adjust as necessary. Homemade divider.

#11 ·
I suggest leaving the current divider in there while using the craft mesh/plastic canvas as a double. A lot of reviews about this tank say that the males will eventually find a way over them and attack the other. This tank also has a bow front, which is very difficult (if not impossible) to safely divide in half. I believe this tank also has an insufficient filter for one betta, let alone two.

I offered two choices and you only rejected one, if you can't get an ADDITIONAL tank, then take this one back and get a 5 gallon to split :S.

I wish you luck on your endeavour, regardless

#12 ·
I am trying my original idea, and so far it is working great :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.