sould people breed petstore betta

• Yes

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 36.0%

Betta Info

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Bailmint 
#1 ·
Is there any tips about breeding betta and details I should look for in a good breeding betta.
Also any ideas about breeding and spawning bettas on a tight budget:-D

#2 ·
ALL kinds of info here..xD More thn I could type up for you:
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/catview.imp?catid=855

Budget:
Large storage tubs are alot cheaper than tanks for grow out.
Buy things in bulk(like food storage ups to jar fry in, it's cheaper to buy a pack of 50-100 then get packs of 4-5 at the store and end up needing more.)
Making a black water solution by boiling IAL spreads them out longer than just dropping one in a tank.
Divided tanks and sorrority are cheaper than heating a bunch of individual tanks, unless you have a whole room to dedicate to fish and can run a space heater to keep it at like 80....xD
Look for used stuff locally/for pick up to save on shipping(we found a 30 gallon here for like 30 bucks, complete with stand, filter and some decor) just clean it out really well.

#3 ·
If you are just learning and don't want to spend too then look for the best fish you can find at the pet store. Petco and petsmart get some nice fish but you have to wait for the good ones. Finding an ok male at the pet store is not too hard with time you will find a good one. It's getting a female that is hard. I only see VT female at pet stores. With a female you do not know what your are getting for sure.

So if you must get a male from the pet store and by a female from a breeder.

#4 ·
It depends on the petstore you get them from. My local has come nice fish by local breeders. I do not believe the "muts" you get at walmart should be bred. It only hurts the species and encourages the sell of the fish to anyone who will take them. So I say yes as long as the fish you're breeding can help produce quality fish.

#6 ·
I voted yes. Why? Some of the best breeders we know have STARTED with pet store fish. Some stores also have Thailand imports VS just "any ol' wholesaler". Though yu do not know the genetic background, sometimes it is fun to "take a chance" and see what you get! I got a DOUBLETAIL GENOTYPE who gave me some doubletail babies, when paired to my doubletail. THAT really was an experience to remember!

#7 ·
Lots of different methods to keep, spawn and rear fry of this species in my opinion.
Its finding what works best for you, your breeders and what you have available to you.
IMO/E-you can spend a lot or as little and reach the same goal within reason.

A Betta is a Betta-it either meets standard or it doesn't-Why some are called mutts I will never know-especially since it is usually being referred to the VT-the grandfather of the domesticated Betta we keep. At one time the VT was viewed as the most beautiful long fin freshwater fish you could keep at home-Then the HM was developed from the VT-plus from a pet store line on top of that and the VT is called the mutt-to me, mutt means mixed-if anything its the HM....Anyway, depending on your goal- by starting with pet shop stock it may take several generation to get that show quality fish if that is what you are seeking. IME-more people are looking for that special unique long fin male for a pet than show fish.

You can spend a ton of money to not just keep-but to spawn and rear fry-nothing wrong with that, however, I like to do this on a budget. Especially in the warmer months-I like to spawn outside. I keep my breeding pairs together all summer in 5-10gal container full to the top with heavy tannin stained water-crammed with live plants. I remove the fry as they are big enough to net to another container for grow out. I do this outside spawning method different every year and so far, have had the same outcome.

Water temp vary from 68F to 110F this year-with the cold snap-both the eggs in the nest and free swimming fry survived-Temps are in the 100F already and all is fine. Lots of rain this year which cause rapid temp swings and that has not caused any problems.

Point being-these fish are a lot tougher than they are given credit IMO/E or maybe mine are just tougher...lol....The outside spawns don't get water changes except for the rain, no added food or any special care and by the end of season I will be over ran by Bettas and I only stared with 3 pairs.

I will add, I use a totally different method in the house regarding water changes and feeding, however, I generally leave my breeding pairs together long term. I do a lot of things different regarding Bettas and Betta care-that I wouldn't recommend to others and some that I don't know why more hobbyist don't do it that way and dispel the myths.

This is in my opinion based on my experience.....

#8 ·
LOL I breed them tough ;) I don't baby them, do super water changes, or "baby" them. They are hardy - and deserve the rights to be hardy! :lol:

Actually "mutts" are actually anything that are a part of the Betta Splendens if we really want to be technical :p We created the VT, we created the halfmoon, doubletail, crowntail, halfsuns, combtails, etc. They are man made ;)

#9 ·
I've bred them before, and if I find any I like I would again. Many top breeders will use a pet store betta if it has the qualities they are looking for :) You may get surprises, but sometimes that's the best part! One of my surprise spawns have been spitting out gold, blue, purple, green, turquoise cambodians, pastels and whites in all different patterns. The father I purchased from a store. At this point I have a couple lines coming out of that original that is heading towards the show circuit.

It's about what YOU want as a breeder, what you like and how much work you are willing to put in it if needed.

The only thing I caution about is to make sure you QT the fish for a minimum of 1-2 weeks before introducing them to your breeding stock. Too many diseases out there that will wipe a breeder out - unfortunately some of them you don't see until it's too late. Otherwise.. if you like it, then buy it!

#10 ·
I have heard from some site that if you put betta outside (if its hot enough and wet enough ) that they will breed and the misquotes will lay eggs in there so the fry will have food I don't know if this is true but I want to know ( this was when I was a young betta keeper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.