Betta Fish Forum banner

Totally brought it on myself.

1K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Slipstitch 
#1 ·
Okay, so I've kind of developed a soft spot for these little guys. So when I walked into petsmart to get some freeze dried brine shrimp and a couple other things and to look at decor for the tanks and to get a filter, I stopped by the betta cups. It was like a scene from a horror movie. All of them were in water so filthy it made a walmart betta's water look pristine and bottled water clear. A 3rd of them had fungal infections so bad that they looked like puffy little clouds with fins and most of that was growing out their gills, a quarter of them were dead in their cups, all of them had fin rot, and only one was even close to saveable. I informed the store manager that those conditions were ridiculous and such and he simply looked at me like I was crazy. I bought the one that I thought might be saved, I couldn't help it. I couldn't let him end up like the rest. Well, it appears that his main issue is fin rot, which has claimed one of the decorative pectoral fins. He eats well, but of course isn't that active. The only thing that I'm not sure about as far as what's up with him is that when he sits still, he's lopsided. Never does he lay completely on his side, but he certainly isn't staying as vertical as bettas normally do. Is this due to his missing that fin or is it something more serious? I'm already treating him for the fin rot as per OLF's previous directions to me for Poseidon's, but if the lopsidedness is something else... How do I tell? And what's more, how do I help him?

See less See more
#3 ·
I was thinking that there may be something to do with his swim bladder... Just dunno what to do about it or if I need to worry. He seems to be fine at swimming, it's the resting part that he sits funny at.

#6 ·
Sounds like Swim Bladder Disease. I'm not sure of natural cures for that but your LFS should have some treatments for it.

Maybe OFL can help.

I would suggest some decaf green tea if you have it laying around. If not grab some of either that or Indian Almond Leaves or dried oak leaves. They all have tannin in them. C: It relaxes the fish.
I'm not sure if an Epsom salt dip would help with swim bladder.

#9 ·
I don't think I actually mentioned the exact treatment that I'm giving him, lol. I'm really hoping he pulls through, once he's back to normal I just know you guys would love pics. He's super lovely.

#11 ·
Idont know if you know but its always best to rehydrate freeze dried foods as much as possible before feeding, To lesson the risk of constipation/bloating which also when a fish is constipated/bloated puts pressue on the swim bladder.

The decaff Green tea and epson salt SHOULD help.

#13 ·
:/ The new fish(who I decided was Apollo) is only seeming to get worse... I have him in the salt dip with conditioned water and everything... He's only getting more lethargic and has now stopped eating... I don't know what to do. He's just slowly deteriorating.

#14 ·
So... He's still not doing well... He's still just slowly getting worse. He's still floating lopsided or sideways... Floats near the top... And he's stopped eating. He's not reacting to being treated for the fin rot... Am I fighting a lost cause? Is there anything more I can do? :(

#21 ·
I was very careful about letting him adjust to the water. I made sure that I slowly transferred clean water into his cup and then the next day slowly changed it out for the salt bath treatment... Poseidon was actually in worse shape when I got him and handled it well... Is there a difference in treatments for crowntails than veiltails maybe? Idk... :/ I wish I could have gotten some decent pics of him before he died... But I was waiting for him to get better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.