Betta Fish Forum banner

My Betta wont eat

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Jazattackk 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am a new Betta owner, in fact this is my first fish ever. I have read a lot of informative posts on here but I just got my betta yesterday evening and he hasnt eaten anything all day today. I just have regular pellet food for my betta as that is what they gave me at the pet store and I put just one pellet in his tank at first to see if he would eat it because I heard you werent supposed to let the food float around in the water for lengthy periods of time... anyways that was at 9:30 am and it is 3:00 and he didnt eat the pellet :( is this normal? I'm worried about him. Why wont he eat? Sorry if this is dumb but it's my first fish so I dont really want him to starve himself by not eating.

#2 ·
Sometimes it takes a little time for bettas to get used to their new homes, and they won't eat. Two of my four bettas didn't eat for two weeks, but they're doing just fine now. Give him a little time, and he should be eating like there's no tomorrow :)

#4 ·
Welcome to FishForum! Like CodeRed said, they just take time to acclimate to their new home. He'll eat eventually. Keep offering him food though. And they can go (I think) up to 4 weeks without food. Also, bettas are picky, so it maybe he doesn't like the pellet also. You may need to try a different brand. Many betta owners use Hikari biogold or Wardley's. I know my betta wouldn't eat Topfin pellets. Each one is different though :)

#5 ·
Plus, some don't even like pellets. My Ace will only eat flakes, but he doesn't care what kind of flakes. The only time he'll eat a pellet is if I sneak it in there, and he's already in his eating frenzy. And even then you can tell he doesn't like it xD
Some bettas are just extremely picky. I think I have 5 different types of food right now.

#10 ·
Good luck!

#11 ·
I got a new betta Sunday and he didn't eat until last night so don't worry your betta will evntualy decide to eat

#13 ·
My first and third bettas weren't interested in food for about 3 days. Now I'm surprised they don't eat my fingers when I drop the pellets in.

Nothing to worry about.

#14 ·
I've had mine about... 5 or 6 days now, and he hasn't eaten yet. Sometimes he puts it in his mouth and then spits it back out. He may do this several times before it sinks to the bottom. Does that mean he doesn't like the food, or is he not eating just because of his new life situation?

#16 ·
My betta will eat any type of fish food I put in there, in about a secound :p He even ate like a pig the first day I got him thats why I named him Nibbler :) So yeah all fish are different, and bettas can be really picky eaters. He just needs to get used to his home, then he will eat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.