Betta Fish Forum banner

Calm before the storm?

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Tailorrr 
#1 ·
So I have a king betta from petco his name is Leonidas I also have 3 angel fish who are still small, 2 Golden alge eaters 1 male blue high fin platy and 2 snails. I have a heated filtered planted tank (live) so far Leonidas hasn't tried to fight or attack the angels or anything else he doesn't flare up, an all around mellow guy, will this last? The angels haven't tried to nip or anything either they just mind their own business. I have pics of the tank in my profile. Any input would be appreciated!

#5 ·
This is in a 20 gallon? Unfortunately, the 20 gal won't even be big enough for the angels when they get bigger. They really need at least a 40 gallon, and you might only be able to keep a pair. They become quite aggressive when they are sexually mature and pair off. I think 2 females and a male would work, but even then... As beautiful as they are, they are just not compatible species in the long run.

#6 ·
My husband has a huge community tank and were planning on getting a bigger tank soon, the angels will go in there once we get it. I just had to get the angels one is all black. Nice lil fella. I've had angels before bettas too but this is the first time together, i think lots of fish can be kept together depending on the actual fishes personality hopefully it works for now

#7 ·
Well that testosterone (or whatever the fish equivalent is!) really does have an effect. The blue fish you can see in my signature used to ignore my other male (in a divided tank). Then as he got older (after about a month or two) it was like a switch was turned on and all he could do was flare and strut his stuff. So yes, for now it can work, but certainly not when the angels reach sexual maturity. Also, depending on how old your male betta is, watch out for problems as he gets older.

#8 ·
I don't know his actual age.. I got him at petco he's a king betta they said but after research I think he's a plakat half-moon if I'm not mistaken his colors are crazy, red blue purple green he was big when I got him so I dunno how old he is.. I love him though!

#10 ·
How long have you had him? Leo doesnt even flare at himself.. he's just a big old teddy bear.. and the angels seem pretty nice.. wish there was a way to sex them easily.. that way i could get all one gender.. maybe theyd be nicer

#11 ·
Okay get this! Leonidas docent flare at the male crown tail I have in a 5 gallon.. And the crown tail wasn't even trying to mess with Leo.. I did an experiment where I put a the crowntail in a plastic cup to see if Leo would react, and Nothing! Do I have a defective betta? Lol

#12 ·
I'll take new pics of my setup tonight, it's a divided 20 gal long. The boys went in last night! I cycled the tank for a week with 10 gallons rain water, 10 gallons stress coat treated tap water. Placed two goldfish in it and let it sit. Last night I added the heater and raised the temp to 80 degrees (dropped it to 78 today just in case, I don't want that heater cooking my bettas!). Otis is in the middle, my g/f's crown tail is on one side, my crown tail is on the other. He sees them and shows no interest! They see him and lock on. They haven't flared at him but they've postured. I don't know, maybe these King bettas are just naturally easy going. He will come up to my finger looking for food but my g/f went to feed him today and he shot to the bottom of the tank and hid! very odd LOL.

#13 ·
Leo knows how to take food off my finger.. hes not even scared.. when im home.. he always swims to the side of the tank i sit and hangs out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.