Betta Fish Forum banner

leaving for a month long vacation

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  clementchee 
#1 ·
I'm currently away at university in Northern California and will be flying back home to Southern California in about 3 weeks for winter break which is a month long. I currently have one Betta fish in a 2.5 gallon tank on my desk that i was hoping would be able to survive th winter with an automatic feeder. However I am finding even if the automatic feeder satisfies my Betta's hunger, my water may evaporate completely over the course of a month.

My tank currently has a 25 watt heater which has been keeping the tank at 80 degrees. I am experimenting with turning down the heat slightly to see if this will slow down the evaporation. I have also placed 2 plastic panels on top of my tank which cover about 2/3 of the top, I am expecting 1/3 would need to remain open for the feeder and noticing this does not make a huge difference with evaporation.

I know the best method of care is to have a friend watch over your fish but all my friends that I would ask are heading home for break as well. I have considered mailing my fish home and then sending him back when I return to school or upgrading my tank to a 5 or 10 gallon but I'm not sure a larger tank would handle evaporation much more effectively.

If any of you have any suggestions on how I could handle this situation I would appreciate your comments very much

Thank you all,
Josh93

See less See more
#2 ·
If you're leaving for such a long time, I'd be really concerned about his water not being changed at all during that time. A month is a long time for ammonia to build up. If there really is no one who could take care of him, honestly it seems to me the best option would be to take him with you/ship him home.

#3 ·
I agree - don't leave him there alone for a month, even with an automatic feeder. His water will be both evaporated and in terrible conditions. Ship him home (research how to ship a betta first) or check around in the area and see if someone would foster him for you while you're on break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.